Sunday, August 11, 2013

Further Adventures

I continued torturing  training Robert with the harness on Saturday. I brought Hubby out with me so I could try dragging the tire and whatever else I could dig up.

I took Bobby up to the outdoor on the off chance that he showed any reaction to dragging things. I ground drove him in between a bunch of standards and over the trail bridge with zero incident first.



Ok, there was one incident:

video

You don't see anything? Ok, good. Then you're not judging me for running like a total freak in the deep footing. I was just having a prance is all.

Hubby and I got the tire hooked up to Bobby and we set off again. Since he'd already pulled Hubby on skis in the snow, I wasn't expecting him to protest, and he didn't. Even when I almost steered him into a jump. Whoops.

homie don't care.

hard work! for me at least.

Since that was boring, we headed back down to the barn and dragged out a cart. I pulled off his bridle so he could see what was going on, and then I let him sniff the cart, didn't let him chew on it, and bounced it around him. He didn't care.

I had Hubby lead him down the driveway while I pulled the cart along right next to his flank. Didn't care. I bounced it around him again and bumped his hips and sides with the shafts. Didn't care. So I called our driving boarder buddy over--we'll call her K--and had her help me hook him up. He didn't care. We decided for his maiden voyage to keep everything unbuckled and just kept the shafts pushed through their shaft holder things (ok, I know the name of most of the harness parts--I'm still learning all of them).

Hubby led him down the driveway again so I could give the cart a good shove to get it rolling with the hope of not freaking him out when he hit the weight of it right off. I stayed by the cart as Hubby led, but Bobby didn't care. He turned his head once to see what was going on behind him before deciding it was no big deal and carrying on.

We had a pretty good sized space to turn him around, but K hadn't come down with us so I was hesitant to turn him in it for the first time by myself. Instead, I got him unhooked and pulled the thing back up myself...and then hitched him back up so we could get our picture taken with Bobby's first time in front of a cart!

one of us was super enthused!

Since we're using Star's cart, it's...er, not quite his size, but to get him going around the farm, it will work for now. I'm also going to see if he'll fit in Artie's saddle (ha! see?) since the girth strap thing looks like the leather wants to go on this current one. I'll see if I can find a local Amish guy to stitch on a new one asap.

Today, I put an actual riding saddle on Bobby, Hubby tacked up Dollar, and we went for a two hour trail ride. It only lasted so long because we walked the entire time since Dollar's not exactly in fighting shape packing camp kids around all summer, but I think he enjoyed the reprieve. Bobby, on the other hand, was a complete tool. No manners at all. It's been too long since he was out there. I had pictures of that, but Hubby sent our brand new $300 camera floating down Fishing Creek. Awesome. We bought a pretty extensive warranty with it so hopefully "water damage" is covered.

Also! Bobby got another turnout change. Since he was spending his time pacing the indoor and trying to tear his face off with the pony:

bm's comment: you think your horse is a unicorn now?
wait till you see what he did this time!

He got a little ribby, and he hated it, so BO pulled her gelding out from his current pasture so he can go out at night and Bobby gets to go out on a smaller paddock with the retired senior citizen Simon from 7am to 2pm. Less time outside, less space to roam, less rocks, and hopefully less time in wet grass. Bobby was ecstatic when I turned him loose. Grass! Someone who won't pick on him!

"is this for real?!"

couldn't even make it further than the gate.

He did come running up to me when I went to grab him this morning because the flies were pretty bad. I hope he doesn't start stamping shoes off again and gets put back on turnout detention.

19 comments:

  1. Oh my god! That's so awesome! Great job. I'm thinking about starting to do that with B so we can start versatility training. Can't wait to see more of you guys pulling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! He can do a little of this and a little of that, no big deal :)

    Yay for a BO who is willing to work with you on things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, he looks so happy to pull that cart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeeellllyyy! I have ALWAYS wanted to learn the art of carriage driving. Definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I long-lined trained Archie a few summers ago, but we never mastered ground driving. That might be something to try again! (Thanks for the blogger-spiration.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanting to try what other bloggers are doing is a serious addiction!

      Delete
  6. Awesome job!! He looks good under harness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Shy thank you for inspiring us! ;)

      Delete
  7. My hubby's family has enough driving tack for me to have a nice team of 27 Shetland ponies, 16 drafts, 10 Arabians, and about 15 regular horses. I've always stared longingly at it and thought I should teach my horses to drive! Maybe I should!
    We were given a fully restored horse drawn grain cart...but I think that might be too much...this year. I'm gonna see if we can't take a cart and tack if we make it back up there soon... There is also a cutter sleigh...umm hello! I can have a mode of transportation when I get snowed in again this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think George would probably give you the equine finger, but I definitely think you need to roll into work with Pistol in the lead!

      Delete
    2. Oh it is a given that George would give me the equine finger. But I think Pistol would rock it...AND we do have a tiny, paint pony sitting in a pasture doing nothing but being useless...I think I shall try to start her first if I do give it a go...

      Delete
    3. I forgot about her! You have no excuse now!

      Delete
  8. he looks cute pulling that cart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Good boy =) And so good for muscle development

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good boy! Alex would probably find a cart horrifying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good boy! He makes it look easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, he is the coolest horse :)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.