Thursday, February 2, 2012

That's what's up.

Olivia rode Jade yesterday for the first time. Her assesment: She's very business-like, doesn't really understand affection, is very focused and surprisingly pleasant under saddle, and does not know how to canter in the indoor. Overall, she liked her.

I took her up to the outdoor to ride today since she seemed so unfazed by it when we were up there briefly Tuesday. I stuck her on the longe and she could have cared less. The videos are her as soon as we got up there. She had no crazies to get out--just interested in the other horses in the paddocks.


I took her on a tour of the arena once, letting her investigate the coop (whatev), the jumps in the corner (so?), and the bridge (yeah, I'll step on this, but let's go do something). She warmed up great. She wanted to watch the horses, but if I gave her a little cluck, she'd get right back to work.

Jade sort of on the bridge, now with pulled mane.

We even managed a canter! We only went to the right so that we could end on a good note and not get too anxious about it. She picked up the correct lead every single time, did a big loop of the arena, then came back to the trot by herself. She did it twice without issue, then stumbled the third time on her depart and did a few little baby rears/jumps with her front legs. All I had to do was say, "Heyyyy, Jade," and pull her back and she trotted off unfazed. We cantered one more lap and finished early.

She must have been the bomb to gallop on the track. She knows her job to a tee and she's totally content and secure in being worked wherever.

robert tacked up for a jump school.
I dragged a couple things out for a baby jump school on Robert. I set up one big crossrail that would have made Aimee and Izzy proud, then stuck a pole in a foot-in-diameter culvert pipe thingy that he deemed jumpable. We had a lot of issues with culvert pipe thingies during the hunter pace we went on last year, so I was not surprised that he needed a lot of coaxing to even walk over it with me on the ground. Who knows what monsters lurk inside such things?! However, once I got on, all he needed was a litte tap tap to figure things out at the walk, and was game to jump it at the trot and canter.


We worked on lead changes over the cross rail. Approach from the left, land and head to the right. From the right, land and head to the left. And so on. He was pretty fab. A few times he missed the changes behind, but I brought him back to the trot and he picked up the correct lead right away.

Then, I decided to man up (sort of) and attempt the 2'6 coop. Olivia put it perfectly: "I don't have a problem jumping cross country fences, but solid fences don't belong in the arena." So true. Something about it just makes them scray for me. Also, the last time we jumped a coop, Bobby dumped me on my ass. After I trotted him up to it and gave him zero direction or encouragement about five times, I finally gave myself a mental punch in the dome and said, "Alright, moron. You're doing a most excellent job of training this horse to stop. Get him over." I didn't hold his mouth to his chest, I did give him a squeeze, and he did go over. In fact, he went over great. No huge over-jumping, no rushing, totally fine. Tah dah! "Thankyouthankyouthankyou" and a big hug and pats later, we mosied down to the trails to cool out (of which I tried to post a video a hundred times, but Blogger says no).

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I'm so proud of your uber crossrail. They are fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.