Thursday, September 1, 2011

Welcome to Hidden Hollow!

Red is in his new digs as of 7PM last night. Yaayyyyy!!!!

Hubby didn't get home until almost five last night so we didn't get to the barn to load Red until 5:30ish. We pulled around to the back, hooked up the trailer, gave it a once over of our brand new tires was mysteriously flat. Like a pancake flat. Like couldn't even pull it around to the front of the barn to put air in it because the rim would have shredded it. It must be those three thousand miles we drive a week that wore it down so much. Riiiiight. So Hubby had to change it out for the spare which was fortunately also brand new (Wow. Who would have ever guessed the two of us would be so well prepared?), but he was royally pissed and I was starting to get a little peeved myself--though I was still in pretty good spirits because we were leaving!

After a NASCAR crew team effort, we got the tires switched out and pulled around front to load Red up. Hubby was worried Red was going to put on a diva-tude, but I know my food-driven pony. He knows trailer rides equal hay bag and he walked right on and proceeded to bury his head in hay for the rest of the ride. We finally pulled into the barn at seven.

We got Red snuggled into his stall, then unloaded my pile of crap into one of the lockers in the "carriage house" since the ones in the barn where Red is were all full. One of the workers was there to meet me, and she got my feed, supplements, etc worked out. About that time, new BO pulled in and got Hubby and the trailer parked before signing off paperwork with me. She told me if Red ever doesn't have hay in front of his face, just give him more. I told her he was going to eat plenty since he was skinny, so she told me to throw him two more flakes since he only had three in there and that should get him through the night. Um, okay!

hay! shavings! full water bucket!
I went down today to make sure he had settled in okay, get my tack/crap straightened out because BO wanted to switch lockers so my stuff was closer to Red's stall, and take the pony for a spin to see how he was feeling.

I got there and the vet was doing floats, BO was giving a lesson, and another boarder was pulling in behind me. I like barn activity. It makes things less boring. The BM introduced herself and helped me get started on switching out lockers while BO was finishing her lesson and told me how Red had settled in with his new pasture mates.

BM hays the horses by the gate when they first go out in their paddocks in the morning, then lets them wander up to graze. Red decided he didn't want to wander up with everyone else to the top of the field, so she gave him more hay halfway up. He was neighing some while she was doing stalls (follow the other horses and you won't be by yourself, you dope!), but otherwise seemed fine. He came down to the gate while I was switching lockers and stood in the run-in neighing, so I brought him in while I finished.

I chatted with the BM for awhile while I tacked up Red, then went to take him out to ride in the indoor. However, vet's truck was blocking the way, so we turned around and went out the other way and I decided to tour the outdoor instead.

view of the indoor from the outdoor.

part of the barn and a field.

"broodmare" field.
We spent fifteen minutes on a loose rein walking around in all different directions, checking out the jumps and the scary trail bridge, before picking up a trot. Wowza. A full belly of hay and real breakfast grain certainly woke Red Pony up! I haven't ridden him trotting in almost a month and he was feeling alive. Getting back on your barely 16 hand pony with a stride to rival Native Dancer takes some serious getting used to. Sit back and heels down and try not to get tossed ten feet into the air every time you post! I let him canter once around each way before walking him out. He was a little warm after about thirty minutes of work, but no sweat and he didn't take a deep breath so hopefully the lunging helped him hold most of his fitness.

I decided to walk him up to his new friends so he knew there was more to the field than being left alone at the bottom of it. He was not impressed.

headed to the first part of red's field.

after the first half, you get to this huge hill.

red says, "this is a good spot. no need to go on."

looking back down at the crest of the field. it keeps going though!

"bff! welcome to the top of the hill!"
"screw you guys."

red! some might consider that anti social!

this horse refused to take a hint. red allowed him to stay.
He's been there for less than 24 hours, his only equine interaction was occasional turn out with Bobby, and he's not used to getting full turnout for the past seven months, so I'm sure he'll need a few days to figure the whole thing out again. I think he'll settle down and wander up with the boys in a day or two when he realizes they're not going to stand around with him when there's grass elsewhere.

His field is also the cross country field. I only saw a few jumps from where I was, but I'll drag Hubby out the rest of the way this weekend to take a look at the rest of them.

Apparently they got hit pretty hard by Irene and a bunch of trees went down. Three of them are going to be trimmed up and left where they are for more jumps. Yay!

Here are a few shots of the barn. It's kind of cobbed together, and not going to win any beauty contests soon, but who cares! The horses are fat, the turnout is amazing, the rings are in great shape, and they know how to feed!

behind the round pen panels are the shavings and feed room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.