Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Red Pony: Two Years Later

Today marks two years since I had to have Red put to sleep (God, is there no easier way to say that?). The passing of time doesn't make it any easier.

this horse was obsessed with licking things.

no, really.
it was a sickness.

I still compare every horse to him even though no horse will ever live up to his standards.

He was a midget, and my legs hung past his belly even when my stirrups were shortened for jumping, but he was beautifully put together, and he never felt small underneath me. While his flat work was never going to wow anyone, he was absolutely spring-loaded when it came to jumping. He was the first horse I ever jumped 4' on, and even at that height, he didn't seem to be putting any effort in. While he had fun running out and refusing, and he never listened to me about an approach, he brought his knees to his eyeballs every time and you could tell there was nothing else he'd rather be doing.

ain't no thing.

He was opinionated. He liked to pick fights just to see what he could get away with. He rarely picked up his right lead. His favorite treats were watermelon Sour Patch Kids. He liked to suck the cheese off Doritos and spit the chip back out when he was done.

red knew all about posing.

He didn't get along with very many horses, but he loved to hang out with people. He used to lay down if tacked up on cement, and I can't count how many pairs of crossties or halters he broke. He loved to jump out of paddocks, especially if he knew you were watching.

he loved playing tag.
(and more than once jumped over that 6' paddock fence you see in the background
because someone got brought in for dinner before him. the original drama queen.)

He trail rode. He did barrels. He loved going swimming. He let us rope off of him and stood like a statue while I untangled him after invariably roping his leg. He did hunters, jumpers, and eventing. He packed people around double. He threw me more times than every other horse I've ridden combined. He loved to take off with me.

tiny pony ears ignoring the nonsense going on behind him.

In the end, how could another horse ever live up to him? The trainer that broke him out and raced him as a two and three year old vividly recalled him three years after he left his barn: "Oh, Mr Personality? How could any of us forget him?"

There will never be another pair of ears I'd rather look through.

spooking at mud. because why not?

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute; I'm so sorry your time together was cut short :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to him.

    Red horses have their way of sneaking into hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post about Red! He sounds like a fun and amazing horse! Sorry for your loss, but treasure the time you two did spend together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it about amazing red ponies that get me every time? There's nothing like losing your once in a lifetime, and even though the passing of my heart horse hurt more than I would wish on my worst enemy, I would rather go through that pain every day than have my memories of those times erased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red ponies are the best. And losing your heart horse hurts the worst, even with the passing of time. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this feel, so hard. He sounds absolutely amazing *big hugs and whiskey*

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry - lovely remembrance of a lovely horse. Personality trumps everything, even untimely dismounts. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn it. This made me think of losing my red pony. And now I am crying.
    I can totally understand the pain and how it never gets any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second K.K.^^ Red ponies leave the biggest holes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I've never read about him before. He sounds like such a character and I can understand how you miss him so much. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said. Sorry, sounds like he was a horse to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't believe it has been two years...so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs! What a great post and tribute to him.. very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. :-( At least you have such wonderful memories. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart goes out to you. I had to put my 36 y/o down a few weeks ago.... This is a wonderful tribute to a fabulous horse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a fantastic horse he was, and what a hole in your heart that must leave. I love the licking thing, how strange is that? I'm sorry you had to go through that, he sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is must be so hard for you. He sounds like he was a one-in-a-million kind of horse.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.