Sunday, December 1, 2013

Lame-o Update

I had every intention of doing a Bobby update on Friday that would cover all bases--including the results of his Lyme test. I called the vet Friday morning after talking with the BM who told me that they'd gotten the results back for Star (another high positive), and she had been tested several days after Bobby. The receptionist told me that there had been a mix up at Cornell and Vet was "all over it", so when Cornell faxed in the results--which they told Vet they would do Friday--Vet would call me right away. Still haven't heard from anyone.

Instead, here's what else has been going on: Not much.

I rode on Sunday, dropped supplements off on Wednesday, and headed back out on Friday. I did Bobby's feet first thing. I'm not sure how I feel about them right now. As always, I welcome (beg for) any and all comments or criticism. Here are pictures from Friday:

LF

LF
i'm not sure of the where/when/how of the missing chunk.

RF
thrush be gone! seriously soooooo much better!

RF
maybe there's kind of a little heel there?
maybe? kind of? a little?
LH

LH
someone tell me that line is the delineation between new hoof and old,
and not that i'm foundering my horse.
RH

RH

After all that, I didn't really feel like riding. The cold didn't help. Instead, I put the surcingle and Micklem on and took him down to the indoor for a longe.


He went around w/t fine, and cantered to the left fine, but to the right he either picked up the lead cross cantering behind right away or switched behind once cantering. The switch usually involved a lot of bucking followed by hopping with both hind legs together but cantering normally in front. Clearly he needs to be adjusted. Merry Christmas to Bobby--who wants to pay for the chiro?

After the brief longe, I let him loose and he went loco for a good five minutes straight. He gets pretty silly out in the field, but with the snow and hard ground, I guess he's been missing out on his nightly romp. Once he was done, he calmly walked over to me to get hooked back to the line. I had to walk him out for nearly ten minutes before he was dry and no longer blowing.

He got his cookies and stuck back in his stall. I haven't been out since. 

listening to the cows across the road.

I'll probably go ride tomorrow. This weekend Hubby and I have total awesomeness planned for Bobby. He won't even know what him.

10 comments:

  1. Waiting for the heel to grow in takes forever and truly proper trim on the toe. I think you are doing a terrific job with him. I see nice concavity there! You saw the before and afters of Riley's over 5 months, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His feet are looking good! I'd watch how long his toes are getting, especially on the foot in the first photo. I like how you aren't making drastic changes, and I think you're getting there. The transition takes forever.

    Also, yep, that awful looking squiggly line is a transition line, probably from when you first pulled shoes. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless a lot of new ones start showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Austen, watch the toes. Also I would trim his bars. My farrier who taught me said to go as far as I was comfortable then go a little more.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree on the toes, especially on the fronts. Chipping like that = self-trimming. You can use that as a guide for how much more toe you can remove. :) You can safely back the toes to the white line, as a general rule. Also agree with Nicole re: trimming bars. And yes, the big difference you're seeing between new and old hoof marks where you took over. That new hoof wall at the coronet band/upper third of his hooves looks GREAT!! Nice and tight. All those lines in his wall where the old hoof is growing out is just more evidence of what a poor job that farrier was doing.
    His frogs look fantastic. You're doing a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um. I don't know anything about hoofers, so I'm not going to comment on that.

    I just wanted to say that I love the sock/sneaker/gloves combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The class with which I dress to go to the barn is unrivaled.

      Delete
  6. I am not a hoof expert but everything above the line looks like some solid hoof growing down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are starting to look like real pony feets! I am super impressed that you have brought his hooves along so well by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. possibly the money you're saving on farrier can be used on chiro? logic may work on hubs - worth a shot, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annoying part is I HAVE plenty of "Bobby" money in the account, but it's hanging in limbo waiting to see if I have to spend it on Doxy. My vet is really leaving me hanging with this test.

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.