We didn't get a lot of riding in our lesson last week, but we came away with a ton more homework.
DL walked in while I was letting Opie trot around in a half-assed stretch because he was super tightly wound and I was just starting to get him to relax. He'd been a little...emotionally unstable all last week for whatever reason. DL was happy enough with what she saw, said she could tell I was improving with my feel for the contact, and got us going on an exercise.
We were supposed to do a 15m circle at C, turn down the quarter line and leg yield to the center line, and then do a 10m circle. Changes of bend, moving sideways, moving forward--everything to get him to loosen up. It took several hit or miss tries to figure out the geometry, and then we ended up going down the rabbit hole of "Am I leaning or are my stirrups crooked or do I just not know how to ride or all of the above?"
After we got that sorted out (I dropped my left stirrup yet another hole), we went to pick the walk again and I couldn't get Opie on the bit. And then I kind of could, but he was pulling so I started pulling, and DL was like, "Wtf is going on right now?" and "Can you stop pulling?" and "Why is he a rage monster?"
And finally she asked if she could get on him.
I mean, yeah, duh.
Her observations were:
- He doesn't want to move off the leg.
- He doesn't want to relax and let it happen.
- She was trying to get him to halt and he just went into haunches in and kept plowing through her hands and walking.
- He knows the tricks, but he's literally never on the bit/honest in the connection. "He's just posing."
- He's completely locked in his poll and TMJ.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.