As stated in previous posts, I went into this show focusing on a good mental attitude with relaxation being the key goal for the entire weekend.
To do that, one of my main focuses was not getting on too early. I'm the master of thinking that my hyper efficient crazy person brain needs forty minutes to tack up my horse, but that is obviously false. For all four tests though, I stuck to my time line for dressing both myself and the horse and getting in to warm up with no extra time wasted on wandering around feeling frazzled while simultaneously doing nothing.
I gave myself fifteen minutes to get warmed up for the first test of the weekend: 2-3 in the indoor. When I went in to warm up there was no ring steward as the judges had just gone on a break. Fortunately I had Hubby with me who kept track of time, and I got to warm up with a friend who was riding right after me.
Second Level Test 3
We went up to the ring on our own, and the ring steward there had zero dressage experience and basically asked if I was allowed to go in. The judge had already returned and it was 10:27 (my ride time was 10:28) so I was like, yes I am and if I get yelled at that's on me.
Instead we got one full lap of the ring which Opie was a bit looky for and then were rung in. He was still kind of wide eyed coming up center line for the first time, but he went to work after that.
We finished with an 8 for the final center line at least. I don't think I've ever ridden under this judge before (and I knew I'd never ridden under the other one) so I had no idea how her scoring was. Not only was she....not generous per se, but willing to give points, but she also had such good comments. And in the end that's all I'm really here for!
Besides the three 4s that she had to give us, we also got a couple 5s for those shit travers. Plenty of 6s-7s. We ended up with a 58.9% (3rd) which means still no score for year end awards, damn it. She did really focus on any time he had a head wag which I haven't seen comments on since his first year of showing. Tension is a big factor, but he also paddles a bit up front and the footing in there was super deep and super wet. I didn't notice it while I was riding in this test, but I did notice it when we were back in there the next day.
Second Level Test 2
We had five hours until our next test, and I gave myself twenty five minutes to warm up this time because I wanted to see if I could clean up the lateral work.
I brought my dressage whip with me and spent the majority of the time in the walk working on the SI and HI. I didn't even touch it in the trot because I knew he would just go shooting off and I'd have to pull him back to stop the running off and then he'd get what he wanted by getting out of doing what I was actually asking. I got him going better but not great, did some canter work, and then let him walk on a long rein until we were ready to go in. By that time he'd relaxed and gotten over the two times I brushed him with Mr Tappy.
The SIs stayed 6s, but at least the first travers got bumped up to a 6. He got a 5 for the first half turn and a 5 for the second HI. 6s the whole show for his mediums which I will take to the bank all fucking day, and then a 7 for his rein back which I know can be a really good movement for him. 6.5 for the first TOH and then a 5 for the second one.
7s for his walk work, and 7s down the line for the serpentine and simple changes. He even got a 7 for gaits which I'm happy for since his legs are little and he carries so much tension. Overall the test felt better than that morning's and we were rewarded with a 62.9% (1st).
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.