Saturday was set aside as "Figure out how to release again, you silly person" day. I gave myself some options with all the suggestions from you guys and set up a tiny vertical, another tiny vertical with a ground pole 9' out, two 2'6 verticals, and a 2'6 oxer. I was determined to find something that was going to work!
Things didn't start out too smoothly....
 |
| "let go of my mouth, woman!" |
I was so pleased with how nice his canter was, and how well it was taking it to fences, as soon as I turned in I completely forgot about the whole point of why I was riding: to release! The ground pole in front of the jump did not work for us this time around unfortunately.
 |
| serious saddle pad issues all day long to top things off. |
Occasionally, I pulled my head out of my ass and got lucky enough to look semi-normal.
I took a few minutes to regroup because things were definitely not going according to plan. Pole in front of fence? No go. Grab mane? Grab anything? Well, that wasn't working because I couldn't get my ADD mind to focus long enough to actually move my hands towards something to grab once I got up to the jump. After whining to an unsympathetic Hubby, I finally commandeered his belt and buckled it around Robert's neck. I headed back out and began chanting to myself, "Reach for the belt. Reach for the belt."
 |
| reaching for the belt. |
Aha! We're beginning to get somewhere! I told Hubby that I wanted to be reaching
past the belt now, and it was his job to tell me whether or not I was doing it.
That was the final piece of the puzzle. Once I got a feel for where my hands should be, they just went there all by themselves.
 |
| came in a little funky to this one, but doesn't robert look adorbs? |
So my overall equitation isn't great, but I honestly don't care at this point. My horse's mouth isn't gaping open! I don't feel quite so guilty jumping the poor dude anymore! Mission accomplished.
 |
| i might have been a tad overzealous at the end... |
Sunday I got signed up for a clinic at the barn literally ten minutes before it was about to start so stay tuned for that....escapade.
Yay!
ReplyDeleteI'll keep that belt trick in mind for later in life. Good idea!
He looks fantastic too!