Y'all. Not even over my horse for once. He's actually continuing to do really well--we'll get to him in a minute.
I am spiraling over myself. Total menty b. Cried to Hubby. Whined to friends. Pouted on my own. Been through it.
Let me show you why and then we'll break it down.
![]() |
| this is why we all do screenshots, no? |
I audited a clinic last winter where the clinician told one of the riders she needed to bounce more in her sitting trot. All of us ammys were like, "Pardon?! You're not supposed to bounce in the saddle!" But her point was the seat needs to be absorbing the motion of the horse's movement, like bouncing on a yoga ball. This ended up being a really great breakthrough for me. My seat stays in the saddle, the hips are loose, I feel locked in to my seat. Only I stopped doing real riding for so long, all my other parts have begun bouncing as well. And I assure you none of those are doing absorption work. They're just bouncing.
In the past five months, I've lost 25lbs through working out and eating less like a toddler with a credit card. I do a ton of pilates and can comfortably run several miles a day. I feel AM stronger, but as Hubby and MB have repeatedly told me, there is no substitute for riding. You can be as strong (and skinny) as you want, but you need the riding miles.
I don't love that as an answer, especially because my riding opportunities rest solely on a horse working through rehab. But it is what it is, so in yesterday and today's rides, I toughened up and made myself focus on me and not just on Opie. My leg is swinging in the wind? Ok, stop. Positive tension. You have abs now--actually you have access to multiple ab muscles! Use them to hold things down. I feel better about that already. Quite frankly I don't know what to do about my boobs bouncing. They're big boobs. Send sports bra recommendations that are on par with a corset I guess. Also I'm allowed to weight my elbows, even if my horse says I'm not.
Enough whining about myself, let's whine about Opie.
He's getting stronger every day, but he is still weak behind. Not surprising, we're just going to keep on keeping on as long as he continues to stay sound and feel better every ride. This is his last ride before he got his SI injections--I was getting video to show the vet, so yes folks, I know he was lame. This is from this past weekend.
The beginning of our rides are always awkward as I navigate what he needs to feel his best, so it's usually a lot of stopping and starting and some lurching around until we both settle into a rhythm and get to work. Plus I have to mentally fight with myself over "Is he doing this because his SI/LH is broken?" versus "Is he doing this because it's one of his go-to evasions?" For instance, this morning he was giving me some drama about me sitting on his right side/putting my right leg on him. He's been doing this for years--it's literally his favorite complaint.
We've also been working really hard on standing still. Opie haaaaates not doing things. Why take a break when you could be WORKING. His brain is just never quiet. A lot of times when we halt, he immediately starts raging. Much drama, much flinging himself around--he basically turns himself into my body in the sitting trot lolololol. But we're getting there with repetition.
![]() |
| would rather annoy his friends and be covered in poop than stand patiently |
In conclusion, I'm in a weird funk with everything. Me, myself, and my bouncing body....and my horse, my weight, my strength, my abilities, etc. Hopefully the horse keeps improving so I can keep logging the minutes, and by spring not only will I have a sound, strong show horse, I'll be able to ride it without cringing.



Ugh after years of relatively light riding with Charlie, it’s been a real struggle trying to get all my pieces back online again while simultaneously trying to keep a lid on doozy … turns out it’s just hard, I think …. Y’all are looking good tho, yay for progress!
ReplyDeleteI've also realized that in order to stay with my bouncy baby horse I need to get stronger. My previous injuries are letting me know that I've never properly dealt with them and whatever weakness that caused them. Trying to find time to be consistent about additional exercise is what I need to get better about. Good for you and your progress so far!
ReplyDeleteGirl, I feel you. I just saw video of myself riding for the first time in a few months. I'm really freaking pregnant and have only been putting in, like, a third of my usual riding time. In July I was at my peak - competing Fourth, riding 3-4 horses a day, strong as an ox. Now... lol sob
ReplyDeleteHappy as a clam to be having this child but we won't be taking riding videos until they're here and I can have my abs back thanks lololol
Oh boy I feel your pain so much. Went from schooling second and third level, to unbacked green bean baby, and my riding has been inconsistent ever since then due to saddle fit issues. I'm finally ok with my trot but my position in the canter needs work so badly. And possibly another saddle hunt, so it might get delayed another winter 😅😅
ReplyDeleteOh, I feel this. I just started getting back in the saddle regularly since, like, September, and I can feel how much "riding muscle" I've lost. I'm super grateful for our indoor arena mirrors for feedback as I struggle to stabilize myself. Be kind to yourself. You're doing great.
ReplyDeleteI mean, it could be, that since he's feeling better in his back he actually is more bouncy. The problem may just be that you have more impulsion now. And once you get used to that it will all smooth out again. I had Shiny's SI injected last winter and suddenly had to start riding in a sports bra. I have no boobs and have always just ridden in a regular bra. But no more since her SI has been unlocked.
ReplyDeleteMaintaining fitness just seems to get harder as we get older. Hate it! Gimme my 20s back! That said, you've got this. It sounds like youre making great progress already! 👏
ReplyDeleteA mantra I made for myself when I started a similar journey was "you can do nothing and be in the same place you are now in X weeks/months/years, or you could START and make progress to be in a better place in that same time period". Helped me make time to put in an effort each day so I could look back and be glad I did something vs nothing. Might have made angry faces while I did it tho 🤣