Well the good news is that the marathon battle between brains and brawn the other day did seem to have an impact on Opie.
I've been off and on longeing him in the sliding reins first thing to let him just go around and move without having to use his brain. I let him pick the pace and he goes around and around at whichever gait he's chosen until he done. We switch directions, repeat, and get on with our ride. He's not anxious during this, but it does seem to give him some time to get his body going without having to get himself worked up over some imagined transgression.
When we don't warm up that way, we do a good twenty minutes of walk work first focusing on getting his body moving laterally. I did finally pick up on the TOH that when I ask him to move his shoulders one way to make the turn, he immediately blows them out the opposite direction as he starts turning. Which, you know, makes crossing the front legs over not possible and the hind legs crossing the solution. Nailing him on that magically made things so much easier.
The trot work quality has been good. I've been trying to get myself more comfortable with a more forward pace instead of shutting him down to make it easier on myself.
And then the canter--and by the canter I mostly mean the changes. Although the canter, too, has been getting worked on. Making sure the quality is good and not being completely wrecked by the anticipation of the coming changes.
The changes themselves have been earthbound since his ridiculous launch party--and I mean that in the best way. He starts off late behind still, but within a try or two going L-R they're golden, but usually a couple more times to get them R-L. They're sane though. He's not launching. He's not getting wound up about them, before or after. When they are clean, they're very good.
So we carry on with the every single ride we do them. Make sure there's lots of stretching. Keep on with the lateral work. Get myself better with riding the lateral work forward. And start work on increasing the collection.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.