Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Step it up

After getting Monday off, I was eager to get back in the saddle Tuesday to see if I couldn't push Opie's buttons a little bit and get him lit. 

Or at least moving off my leg.

Of course he started off in a completely "Yes ma'am" mood which was good if also kind of eye roll inducing. Where was this horse when I needed him over the weekend, sir? 

I did have to really sit and ride him in the canter. Not in a bad way, just in an active should be doing it this way anyway way. I'm guilty of riding a lot of circles and forgoing the long straight lines. Watching my tests it shows as his canter is pretty cringe-y looking. That was my focus for this ride, and with some inside leg held steady against his ribs and a million half halts I got it much improved. 

Then I was all, let's finish with that lateral work! I have Mr Tappy in hand so if we don't feel like putting forth any effort, we gon' learn. 

Good grief, you would have thought I had asked him to jump into a pool of sharks. Or not, as he probably would have been down with that. I brushed the whip against his hip once in the shoulder in when he wasn't stepping under with the LH (hahaha alwayssss with this mother fucking LH), and he straight up lost his shit. 

Once I got that fucking defused, he went right around and did it just fine. I do so enjoy that as he's moved up the levels he's started really embracing #bobbyproblems. At least he gets over himself and gets back to work after his tantrum--a trait Bobby definitely did not possess. 

Throughout we also did about a gazillion halt transitions so that's what we wrapped up with as well. Stand square, stand quietly, and stay on the bit instead of staring off into the distance. 

after a long driveway cool out because homes was sweaty

Today I introduced him to long lining! He already knows how to drive and therefore ground drive, but obviously long lining is a bit different. I started with trying the outside line behind him, but he just took that as a cue to go fast so I brought it over his back instead. 

He was actually really good for it once he realized I could, indeed, still be in charge of steering. We worked mainly in the trot, getting it cooking without running and then coming back. A little bit of collected canter, a stretchy cool out trot, and then bammo--right into a perfect square halt on the bit. 

I changed our Third level debut on the last day of Houghton to 2-2 because after the first show of the year I realized I don't actually want to go in to that test without super confirmed changes after all. Good thing I emailed the secretary to change though as turns out they hadn't written her address correctly on the prize list and my entry and giant check were floating around in the postal system somewhere. Bless her, she got me sorted out in no time and was able to get me in with no trouble via email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.