![]() |
| the riser pad made the balance and fit much better, but it definitely needs a rear cinch (which is on the way) just because it's so light it's not really holding itself down |
Monday
I ran through 2-3 in the indoor for the first time in eternity. There were some areas to target that were a little sloppy, but overall he showed up to work. The double has almost made him too reactive to my seat though. He's already very in tune to what my butt cheeks are doing, but the double has made me ride with my body that much more so he's on top of every twitch I make. That's apparently carried over to the Micklem as well which I guess is good because it holds me accountable, but finding that balance point where he tunes out some of my ammy flopping while still remaining responsive is currently in the tricky stages.
It showed up most in the simple changes where he wanted to fall to the trot for a step or two, so I sat deeper and he slammed to a halt instead. That needs finessing again to say the least. But the lateral work was good, and the medium to working/collected canter is A+.
We also spent a good amount of time working on the halt. He wanted to keep cocking a hind leg in it which is not okay. But that's been resolved in later rides.
Tuesday
I pulled out the western saddle, set the barrels up in the indoor, and went to warm up in the outdoor where there were a bunch of different pole exercises set up. I had him leg yielding in and out of them which he was super for.
Then we went to work on the barrel pattern. In my head, I want him to go L-R-R because the L-R lead change is the easier one, but upon further reflection, I don't think this is going to work. Mostly because he doesn't turn right.
![]() |
| "fuck your right turns!" |
I had him going mostly reliably and was ready to quit when a barn mate pulled in and I asked her to video one run. That quickly devolved into several failed shit show runs.
![]() |
| fake it til you make it |
I was able to quit on a somewhat reasonable note, but it's definitely going to be a continued education thing for him. I think he'll have an easier time in the outdoor where there's way more room between the first two barrels. And switching to R-L-L.
Wednesday
It was ten million degrees with ten million percent humidity. I didn't ride.
Thursday
Fifteen minute stretchy ride which Opie was here for. He dropped it right to the ground was trotting his little stretchy heart out. We finished up working on turn on the haunches. Always and forever. After watching this video I tried to tell myself they were basically just square turns that kept going. We do square turns all the time. That imagery helped me keep his hind end moving a bit more instead of him planting and pivoting. Now I need to stop automatically opening my inside hand to my hip. He'll turn without that, so stop doing it.
| we need more stretching! he's bulking up, but we don't want to lose the long muscles in the process. |
Friday
For whatever reason, I was super inspired to do some serious dressage work. I almost faltered when I saw there was a new course set up that looked fun, but dressage was on my brain.
It took Opie awhile to get locked into real work. He was doing fine, but I wanted him to strut. Let's produce, sir! After spending more time in canter than I usually do--bringing it back and forth from the medium trot, lots of counter canter, half assing the simple changes again (damn it)--we worked on a little medium trot, and moved on to the lateral work. Namely the half pass.
At the trot he's got it. I have to be cognizant not to let his haunches jump out into the lead, but if I'm on it, he's on it. He was finding that so easy both ways, I picked the left lead canter back up.
I asked for a little shoulder-in first which he felt comfortable and confident with so I want ahead and asked for the half pass a couple times. They were shallow and short--intentionally since this was his first time working on them--but he just oozed right into them. After that success, I dropped the reins and gave him huge praise.
We cooled out on the trails where he tromped right over the bridge like a boss.... and then spooked at a buttercup. Gotta keep it real.
This weekend we're going to the park both days, escorting two groups of adult riders around. Not at all my idea of a fun time, but I could use the extra money for a supplement the dentist just sent me as a suggestion for Opie's EOTRH. It's supposed to strengthen bone and reduce inflammation in the gums. It will also cost me my soul to afford it, but I really don't want him to lose all his teeth before he's ten so we'll give it a go.




No comments:
Post a Comment
If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.