Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Basics

Last week's trail ride at the park was much needed. Both because it reminded Dopie that standing tied to the trailer is a thing--something he conveniently likes to forget when he hasn't been anywhere for awhile which causes him to set back, but my knotted halter showed him Truth--and because the boys were so happy to be out and about again. There was lots of soaking in the pond and enough gallops to satisfy everyone.

ground tied, ready to go home after almost breaking my ramp latch.
#childsatan 

We've had a couple of super easy, basic flat rides since then. It's been nice to be able to work solely on myself in the sitting trot. Opie has been forward and soft, so I pretty much just put him on autopilot while I try to correct bad habits.

  • He's super in tune to my seat and as I've written before, I think this is where quite a bit of his back tightness comes from in the sitting trot. Definitely tension plays into it, but I've been getting him cruising in the posting trot and then quietly slipping into sitting while focusing on keeping my butt like jelly, my shoulders back and down, and tightening my core instead. A novel idea, I know.
  • His canter is back to being loose and jumpy and wonderful. I don't know why he vacillates between that and gross four beated nonsense with nothing in between, but I'm going to ride the floaty train while it's around.
  • He is understanding the medium trot. He. Is. Getting. It. It still needs to be bigger and bouncier always, but the concept has finally clicked in his giant head.
powered by candy

Tomorrow we head out to explore a new trail since going to the park can get boring in a hurry. Hopefully we don't get lost!


trail bros 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.