SMALL WINS.
![]() |
| the horse is living his best life. i'd stop turning right if someone would get me a massage. |
I was bringing a horse in from turnout Saturday evening, and as I led him into his stall he body slammed me into his door (just because--horses are assholes, let's be real) which then spooked him so he jumped forward--directly off my right foot. I said many, many bad words, cried for two seconds, and then gimped around for the next forty five minutes finishing bringing horses in and feeding until I glanced down at my shoe.
BM was standing nearby so I calmly walked up to her and asked her to look at my shoe. "Is that water or is it blood?" She snatched me and hurried me into the wash stall where I buried my head in my shirt while she pulled my shoe and sock off, both of which were thoroughly saturated in blood. BM cleaned and wrapped the shit out of it and told me it probably needed stitches.
![]() |
| trash bag to keep dirt out and blood in. |
I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to wounds on my own body. Someone could cut their arm off and I would be totally zen helping with that. A paper cut on my skin? I will pass out. Or projectile vomit. Or both tbh. I still don't know what the outside of my toe looks like. I refuse to look at it until it's healed.
Hubby cleaned and rewrapped it again the next morning, and Riding Bestie (a nurse) was sent some pictures; she also told me to go get stitches. Bitches ain't got time for stitches. Also I really hate going to the doctor. Also I had to go back to the barn for our hunter pace. Sadly I had to skip the actual jumping part, but I wanted to take my favorite barn child out. I managed to get a sock and slipper over my foot and clambered aboard Dopie bareback.
![]() |
| i couldn't shimmy jeans over without bumping my toe so shorts completed the look. #safetythird |
We managed that without incident, my kiddo got her ribbon, and Dopie got a nice massage to top his weekend off. Then I was responsible for doing the barn again since the girl that usually does it was still on vacation. I gimped around for another couple hours feeding and dressing ponies while Hubby and the stall cleaner did the actual turning out and bringing in.
When we finally got home, there was some blood leaking through the bandage again so I had Hubby pull it off to clean it and rewrap it. At that point, he was like, "Listen, you idiot. We are going to the doctor. Right now." Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.
We got in at the Urgent Care right away, got a set of x-rays, and had a nice sit down with the doctor. Aside from the deep laceration along the nail bed (can't tell you what that looks like, I don't ever want to know), my big toe was essentially shattered. He wrapped me back up, prescribed some antibiotics, and referred me to an ortho specialist.
![]() |
| emotion support doggo here for your needs. "i know i checked on you five seconds ago, but are you still doing okay? do you need more snugs?" |
I saw her this morning, and the good news is despite the multiple fracture lines and chunked off pieces, they're all in line with each other and avoided any joint damage so it will heal up all on its own without further intervention. The nail will eventually come off, but she thought the cut looked like it was doing good. The main thing was how long any soft tissue or nerve damage will take to heal. Basically it will look better before it actually feels better.
I go back in a week for a recheck to make there's still no sign of infection. In the meantime I have a walking boot so I'm mobile enough to continue making bad choices. I'm hands down the worst patient alive. Thumbs down for rehab, y'all. Ain't no one got time for that.
![]() |
| emotional support cat also here for all the snugs |
Obviously the biggest bummer is that I can't tolerate stuffing my foot in a riding boot at the moment. I had to back out of cross country schooling Saturday and our last dressage show of the year next Sunday. I'm hoping I'll be able to tolerate pressure on my toe by the last couple of paces of the season because I'm going to be crushed if I miss out on the actual fun part of the year!
I am, however, planning on riding at the park this Sunday. I only need one stirrup for a trail ride, right?





Fuuucckk. Big toe breaks SUCK SO BAD. I drunkenly dropped a mostly full (corked) wine bottle on mine in 2016 and it took forever for me to get feeling/mobility back in it. I had to force myself to bend and wiggle it every day and slowly I regained mobility. But UGH.
ReplyDeleteSending you fast healing thoughts. And lots of wine...just don't drop it on your toes ;-)
I'm trying so hard to force myself to stand evenly on my foot, but ow. I'm hoping it gets back to useful soon!
DeleteOuch. I can't look at toe injuries (especially if it involves a nail) so thanks for no pics. I get heebee-jeebees just thinking about the nail falling off.....
ReplyDeleteGlad you found a way to ride. Don't push it too much so that you have to take MORE time to recover. 2 weeks now is better than 6 weeks later. Both suck though.
Omg I have no experience with losing a nail and I'm just pretending like it's going to be the simplest process on the planet.
DeleteThat sucks. I had a similar injury. I also shattered my big toe years ago and continued to work on it for the whole day until I had to throw the shoes away because of all the blood. And then I took a day where I pretended I didn't need to go to the doctor, but finally consented. It was broken in some weird way that made the doctor call in everyone he could find to see the X-rays because it was so unusual. Anyway, the doctor was like absolutely do not go riding. Don't even go to the barn. Apparently because of the combination of deep wound and broken bone, dirt getting into the bone would have resulted in a bone infection and I guess those are bed. I may or may not have been - but definitely was - back at the barn the next day riding. But seriously; watch out for infection. Maybe stick to just riding and not barn work.
ReplyDeleteI'm loaded to the brim on antibiotics, but I'm definitely doing the wrap plus sock plus boot plus bag over the whole shebang to keep things out. Hopefully that plus limiting my time there (booooo) keeps things clean.
DeleteSo no stirrup dressage? You sit the trot anyways 💁 just wear a slipper. 😂obvs I'm jk
ReplyDeleteDont think that hasn't 110% crossed my mind!
DeleteOh shit! I'm sorry, that really sucks. I can't believe you were gimping around on a shattered toe all that time! Ouch. Maybe you can just vet wrap the walking boot to make it look like a boot? And just go sans stirrup for the show? Is that allowed?
ReplyDeleteI seriously considered asking if I could show without stirrups, but there's no way I can get my boot on. And my expensive ass County is not to be touched with this clunker of a walking boot!
DeleteHeal up and keep it covered to avoid infection. Those are bad news.
ReplyDeleteOh trust me, it's staying in it's sanitized wrap womb for as long as I can make it. I want no part of it being in the open where I can see it.
DeleteUgh toe injuries are the worst! I went to a clinic once & I was holding a horse for one of the ladies at the barn I was working for at the time - her horse was a grade A jerk & he stomped down on my big toe and the one next to it and twisted. Never got it checked out but he ripped the nail off one toe right then & the big toe nail fell off a bit later. I managed to make it through my rides and just limped around the rest of the weekend.
ReplyDeleteSending healing vibes! Those injuries suck!
Yikes! I can't believe you still rode!
DeleteGuess that's why boots are recommended for barn work as well as riding?! (says the lady who leads her horse around in flip flops) Will be re-thinking my footwear choices thanks to you. Hope you heal up super quick!!
ReplyDeleteThey were a good sturdy pair of sneakers, too! Nothing beats a steel shod foot I guess.
DeleteOuch! Sounds painful and gnarly, get better soon
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteHoly shit, that sucks. I'm with you- I won't look at my own injuries either. Here's to a speedy recovery!
ReplyDeletePersonal injuries are the worst!
DeleteOuch!! I hope that thing heals up uneventfully for you! I admit, I find my own wound carnage fascinating, so my curious science dorky self is soooo curious, but I get that not everyone feels that way. Glad it didn't need surgery, keep it clean!
ReplyDeleteI might manage to take a picture on my own down the line...like when it's fully healed lol.
DeleteOoooh owwwww, and thanks for not sharing pics.
ReplyDeleteAlso you can totally ride in a walking cast. 100% recommend it as long as you don't fall off or tell your doctor. Especially don't tell your doctor.
I have a nice slim post-surgery shoe that's totally getting used in times of need--like a trail ride. #priorities
DeleteUgh! I am sorry that this happened. Big toe injuries are really disruptive because wearing shoes/boots is impossible! Irish had a habit of spooking going through doors. After he slammed me in the face with his head I decided I needed to teach him to let me go first through every door and to 'self-load' into his stall.
ReplyDeleteThis horse is usually good, but he totally had a bug up his ass that afternoon. Of course he's one of the oldest in the barn, too. Always the naughty old men that cause trouble!
DeleteHoly moly. BAD TIMING DANG HORSE!! But geesh thank goodness with all the fractures and damage its going to heal fine by itself. Eventually. My lug of a QH stepped on my foot a year ago or so and popped my big toe right off in one piece. I cried and whined with my foot in the sink for an hour before I finally dealt with it! lol. Took a year to grow another toenail, ugh.
ReplyDeleteGahhh, so gross!!
DeleteOof. The description gave me the heebie jeebies. Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteEven with looking at it, just knowing it's down there existing makes me queasy lol
DeleteOh no, hope you heal quickly! I'm the opposite, I'm fine if I hurt myself but can't look at someone else's wound.
ReplyDeleteI'm just so glad it's not me that's hurt that I will gladly doctor anyone else's wounds!
DeleteShit, shit, OUCH! Toes/feet are the worst. I can also attest, two broken toes (like actually need a boot broken) and two broken feet (left both times weirdly enough), that one can ride in a walking boot, but keep it the fuck away from your saddle, that the nerve damage takes FOREVER to heal (I think my foot was finally at 100% about a year later?), and weeks in a boot will wreak havoc on your ankle stability - if you can do any range of motion exercises when you take the boot off, DO THEM. I was also in a boot for like 12 weeks, so hopefully you come out better than I did.
ReplyDeleteHere's to also hoping your foot goes back to the same size as before, unlike my left one, which now requires boots a half size larger and makes it look like my feet are always too far forward in my stirrups.
Ugh that sounds SO painful!! I hope you heal as quickly as possible!!
ReplyDeleteugh sorry about the broken toe friend :(
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling a bit better by now. Oh and ouch. SHit that sounds horrible (I still have a broken top of my hand i think from the side by side and a post making my hand as sandwich. I DONT THINK there is supposed to be a bone knot on top of my hand right?? HAHAHHA)
ReplyDeletesuper late to this party but wow... that really REALLY sucks, yo :(
ReplyDelete