Monday, April 1, 2019

Can't make it last

Two good boy days in a row last week was apparently all Opie had to offer.

After a good dressage ride that Monday, an excellent session with the cart on Tuesday, on Wednesday our young Dopie Horse couldn't steer.

Or really just horse at all to be perfectly honest.

"hai, hello, i am feral and retired now, bai."

BM walked into the ring near the end of my ride as I was attempting to get Opie to trot/jog/move in a semi-forward direction on the quarter line because he couldn't help but keep bashing my foot into the kick boards instead of getting off my outside leg. This was VERY OFFENSIVE to Opie--that is, not being allowed to run me into things. He was like a drunk toddler, and BM was all, "Wow, Opie. Much worm. Very wiggling."

We finished by popping over a 2'6" swedish oxer a few times right out of stride because that was easier in his head than going in a straight line. Whatever, broski.

wants to be a jumping horse. fell down and into a crossrail
the next day. does not get to be a jumping horse.

On Thursday he was better, on Friday he was dreadful. I had no horse in my hand for the entire ride. When I first got him we had to work hard to get him stretching out because he liked to curl up into this cute but very fake frame where it looked like he was going around nicely, but there was literally no contact with the reins. He came out of that this summer and has being doing really well. Not so much Friday.

Up, down, sideways, it didn't matter where his fool face was, I couldn't get an ounce of weight in my hand from him. It was like my reins were attached to air only my horse wasn't being light and lovely, he was being a bit of an asshole.

The next day? Perfectly fine.

celebrating tacos, side eye, and these banging new breeches.

Sooo, I'm going to just keep plugging away I guess. Hopefully next month when show season kicks off we'll be able to put more than one ride together without reverting back to "what is horsing what are legs my face doesn't exist oh no I fell down again."

That is, IF SOMEONE WOULD STOP BLEEDING ALL OVER THEMSELVES.

all 4 legs. because balance.

Sunday morning Hubby and I went out to the barn for a short list of things to accomplish: the monthly confo picture, mark where we needed to move the breeching dees on the shafts of the cart, and load the cart up to bring it home for a makeover.

The hay guys pulled in with a delivery right when we got there--thus blocking my confo background--so we decided to half-harness Opie quickly and cross the cart things off the list first. Opie was down with this. He wanted to wander a bit as I girthed him and flopped the breeching over his back, but we pulled the cart up to him without issue and he hung out begging for cookies while we marked the cart and double checked the fit.

From there? I do not fucking know. He went from zero to a thousand in half a second with no warning whatsoever. He was shifting around a bit, and I don't know if he bumped into something and it scared him or something on the harness pinched him when he moved or he just spontaneously combusted.

Whatever it was, he started tweaking and ripped the lead rope out of my hand so hard and fast it gave me rope burn. He tried to take off towards his field, but the cart wouldn't let him turn like he wanted to and he got stuck up against the fence which freaked him out even more. Fortunately things started breaking. He snapped both shafts in half, spun around and somehow ended up in the body of the cart (at which point I died because I thought for sure he was about to break all his legs), the buckles on the breeching broke, and he freed himself to run down the driveway towards the main road while I stood there like, "........wut."

It was so fast, and so violent, and so random that I wasn't even processing it. I snapped out of it and rounded the bend to the driveway to see Opie get to the main road and turn around with half of one of the shafts still banging against his side. He saw me, lasered in, and galloped right back to me, screeching to a halt and stuffing his head in my chest while I still pretty much just stood there like, "......wut."

Also fortunately, the fitting I had done last Tuesday had involved replacing some of the cheapo harness parts with new buckles and straps goods so I was able to unbuckle the back strap with one hand and thumb the girths loose with the other and everything still attached to him fell away in about two seconds just like it's supposed to. If he hadn't ripped the lead rope out of my hand and bolted, I would have been able to get him out of the cart just as quickly and easily.

I noticed free flowing blood on the RF but nothing else right away. I stuffed him in a stall to come down off his crazies while I helped Hubby clean up the harness and cart pieces. Upon further inspection he'd managed to scrape up all four legs to varying degrees, but by some fucking horse god miracle nothing went beyond skin.

the morning after. the RF (top left) bled through the gauze, but
other than that nothing too exciting.

How he didn't managed to maim himself worse, I honestly don't know. I can't imagine how much worse it could have been if things hadn't given away. A couple grams of bute in, he seemed perfectly sound this morning. I left all but the RF unwrapped while he stays on stall rest today to let everything dry out while the fresh 3" of snow melts outside. He's probably earned himself about a week off to let everything scab over and any soreness dissipate.

In the meantime, Imma be over here burning a few twenty dollar bills as a sacrificial offering in case you need me.

34 comments:

  1. dear fucking god, Opie. here i was all distracted by how fucking ginormous his shoulders were looking in that cute photo, but then, BOOM, terrifying nightmare story of horse going full-on National Velvet (the early part) at the drop of a hat. christ... glad he's not more banged up, and here's hoping your cart is easily repaired!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks so good besides trying to permanently scar his legs at every turn.

      Delete
  2. :o Opie, wow -- so glad he is ok. I know that feeling, I watched Solo flip a trailer door through the air once, it's so fast, yet so slow, a crazy horror show. Deep breaths for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like it's both taking a lifetime to happen and yet like five million things are happening in two seconds.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh how scary. I’m so glad you’re both ok and that you know how to handle a situation like that. Sending lots of healing thoughts for Dopie and cheap fixes for the cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cart should be fairly cheap to fix. He managed to break the two most expensive pieces of harness though of course!

      Delete
    2. Good!! I was half hoping with the date you posted this that it was all an April a fools joke and he just scratched himself up in his pen.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. That is SO scary. I remember being terrified when Dutch pulled the top off a western style tie rail and flung it all about. I cannot imagine how scary that is when they are attached to a cart. So glad you and he are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait... wut?

    I just... I'm glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "WUT" went through my head about a thousand times.

      Delete
  6. Well Opie you did a dumb. Glad you are both ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is insane! Someone has a pretty serious case of spring fever it sounds like. I'm glad he (and you!) are ok! I'm also glad he looked for you when he got scared and didn't run down the street. Ugh. Horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to think of them as the Spring YOU ARE SO FUCKING STUPIDs myself. :P

      Delete
  8. I can just imagine your face as this all happened. It's a minor miracle that he didn't seriously injure himself (or you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For how much went wrong, just enough went "right".

      Delete
  9. So scary! I'm glad everyone is OK <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww man, I'm sorry. That's how it was with P and the Foot Hole- the behavior was so insane and out of character. Hoping O heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses just gonna horse so hard sometimes.

      Delete
  11. Jesus Ever-Loving Christ, Child. Maybe next time don't, yo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Opie! So lucky it was only superficial damage. How many years did he take off you life? I can't even imagine the horror of watching that go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't something I ever want to be a part of again, that's for sure!

      Delete
  13. Was he not wearing a bridle when he was hitched?

    Sweet Jesus Opie. Cart wrecks give me heart palpitations. I hope he can be hitched again without reliving that particular scenario. Holy shit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was parked with just the halter on because all we were doing was making a couple marks on the cart on where we wanted to move/install hardware. He wasn't supposed to be in it for more than two minutes, and he certainly wasn't supposed to be mobile!

      Driving is ten thousand times scarier than riding. I think it's going to take me more time to get over it than him!

      Delete
    2. Ugh, that is the pits. I'm sorry that happened to you guys.

      When I did a driving clinic, I got into huge trouble for having Spud hitched with just a halter on (not tied, me leading him). It's a big "no no" for competitions too (bridle is the last thing to be removed). Apparently that's how you can get disqualified and removed from the show ring. At the same clinic there was another lady who removed her bridle first and her horse absolutely LOST it for whatever reason. Thank god her husband was able to grab the lead rope - I think she only got a leg over the cart shaft somehow but otherwise was OK.

      And when we showed last year, any time I got out of the cart I had to unhitch him. Having someone stand at the head was not permissible. Driving people have a crazy amount of rules. And I understand it's for good reason, but I hitch him up by myself and you bet your boots I don't unhitch every time I get out of the cart at home (to grab a hat or water bottle or to lead him down the trail to better ground, etc).


      Not bashing or finger wagging at you - it is just interesting information and it made me re-assess how I tack him up. Of course, I do drive him open and also drive him bitless, so it's not necessarily the fact of having a bit in his mouth or blinders on all the time. And in some circumstances, like I listed above, I am not gonna unhitch in the middle of a trail to pass a mud-pit... I just get out, either ground drive from behind the cart or simply lead at his head.

      Delete
    3. One of the women that taught me to drive did tell me all of that, and I even have a neck lead rope thing specifically for driving to you can tie with the bridle on. Have I ever used it? NOPE. :P

      Do you know why that is though? I don't think she ever gave me a reason beyond it being tradition. I feel like you'd have just as much of a chance as controlling with a halter and lead rope as with a bridle on? That is to say none at all in my case lol.

      Delete
  14. Hitching accidents happen hard and fast. Was strolling down the trail on sleigh when we tipped over on an icy corner and my soft hands dropped the reins as we fell out of the sleigh, dog, blankets and all. Off went the horse thundering down the trail at a gallop dragging the sleigh behind. Lucky it was late and no other riders were encountered. Horse finally stopped (before the road crossing) when the sleigh snagged a tree. The horse was steady and had been doing this for 20+ years. It was a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep. Burn those bills! I still cannot believe how lucky Grif was when we had our accident years ago. Scared me away from carts ever since (though I do kinda have a desire to put Stan in one one day). I'm so glad Opie is okay and didn't come out any worse for the wear. Shit is so freaking scary to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like seeing your horse take off with a giant vehicle attached to them. Ugh, I'm definitely going to need some recovery time, forget Opie!

      Delete
  16. I really want to learn how to drive but then I see or read about some sort of driving accident and it sounds fucking awful. I'm really sorry you both had to go through that it sounds fucking traumatizing.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.