It didn't happen.
The footing was horrendous for dressage warm up, and I felt like I could barely get Bobby out of the ground. We put in a correct but blah test which landed us with our worst score ever. I was pissed about that until looking at the rest of the scores from our ring and seeing that there was no way I was the only one who ran into such a thing. I'm not sure what the judge was looking for, but apparently none of us had it.
|trying to get some forward, but it's hard when your horse is stuck in the ground|
Cross country was cancelled because it was under water (as in, the water crossings were up to my thighs), and I wasn't about to drive back down to Geneseo for a stadium round on crap footing. This is the second time in the three years I've lived here they haven't been able to jump because of footing. It's basically a $200 combined test or dressage test which is not what I sign up for. Along with a lot of organizational issues--like there being no announcement anywhere about the cancellation as I found out from a friend who was grooming for someone else who'd heard a rumor--I will not be patronizing this event in the future. I sent in an event evaluation as well.
I have a lot of Feelings about eventing in WNY, but that's a post for another time.
|#feelings. the horse was good though and earned his carrots.|
Immediately following that I got deathly ill for a week straight, becoming intimately familiar with my bathroom floor where I took up residence for a couple days. Fortunately I finally felt human just in time for our week-long vacation to Maine which was amazing and I wanted never to come back from.
|poor black bear said mountain climbing is exhausting. and no, she has no problem|
being toted around like a 90lb kitten.
I finally got to ride my horse again last week. It sucked. A lot. He wasn't really doing anything wrong, but I went into full on "I suck at riding. I'm the worst rider ever. I've broken all my horse's training. I will never ever get better." meltdown, and Bobby was just like, "Amen." My rides sucked, my lesson sucked, my morale sucked.
So Sunday I took Hubby up on his offer to accompany us to Mendon for a photo shoot where we had a blast romping around and soaking in one of the ponds, and I remembered that at the heart of it I just really like riding.
|sometimes you gotta go deep for the best snacks|
|and then he tripped and really went under, but came right back up like, "got it!"|
Sitting heavy in the background off all this was Bobby's cancer leg. Or more specifically the troublesome foot attached to cancer leg. Like I wrote about when he was first diagnosed, the coronet band has slowly been bulging outwards. It went from all along the top of his foot to really blowing out one side.
|it's hard to get a good angle, but the whole top is squishy and swollen. he's also|
due to get shod this week, but we're waiting to firm up a plan first.
He's been one hundred percent sound. Nary a hitch, and BM even complimented how much freer he looked in our lesson than the last time she'd seen him go. He was adjusted by the chiro for an out of whack pelvis last Tuesday, but that was because he couldn't turn right and not because he felt crippled.
Obviously though, that's not normal so I put in a call to the vet Friday for her to come out Monday. Farrier also managed to come out that morning. I like to confirm that I'm not being crazy about hoof issues before talking to Vet as she doesn't seem to take them as seriously as I do--which is why I lean heavily on a really good farrier.
Farrier didn't have any clue what was going on with it. She sent pictures to a colleague who also didn't know. We talked about how the crack is now expanding out instead of up and down, so currently we're planning on ditching the wedges and trying some form of glue-ons and doing....something to the crack, I forget what.
|freshly braided for the second time that day|
and they're already falling out again. fucker.
Vet had no idea what it was either, so I agreed to do x-rays with the worry that there might be some bone rotation/fuck uppery somewhere in there. She was without an assistant, but good old Bobby stepped right onto the blocks and happily ground tied without twitching a muscle while I helped her take the images....which showed nothing. At a loss, she gave me a bottle of pentoxifylline to start him back on, and told me she'd get the images sent right to his derm doctor and the ortho team at Cornell.
The only things Vet and Farrier really agreed on were that a) the skin looks good!, b) we were more than likely dealing with a side affect from the sarcoidosis, and c) there was no fucking way this horse should still be walking, let alone sound.
|expectation defying moose, breaking the medical rules since the dawn of time.|
(he was initially very suspicious of hubby following him around before he realized
hubby belongs to him and is a certified dispenser of treats.)
But he is sound. He feels fucking fabulous actually. In our two rides this week, I've dropped all upper of the lower levels expectations and just let him go back to basics--a training level frame with good pushing power and a steady rhythm. He's a solid A going around like that, so I'll let him keep being an A until he's ready to be an A++ and he wants to give me more.
|ugh, this park is so pretty|
Vet got all her information sent over to Cornell by the end of Monday, and then went on an emailing rampage to try to get any more information on the sarcoidosis. Like, she sent off an email to the vet in the Netherlands that did the biggest (and seemingly only) study on the disease. She hasn't heard back yet, but it kind of feels like a sarcoidosis celebrity.
Look, things have been kind of dismal around here. I have to get my kicks where I can.
Nobody knows jack shit about it though. Cornell's derm vet has the next best knowledge, but that's pretty minimal and all he was able to contribute was that he's never seen it do anything to the foot. The ortho team suggested a hematoma, but Vet had never seen one inside the hoof, and she felt that they weren't able to really get a good grip from the pictures that it's not just swelling in that one area. It's around the entire foot.
Soooo, that currently leaves me with two options.
Option One: Go down to Cornell and have the ortho team, derm vet, and farrier all take a look at him. They might have to ultrasound, they might biopsy, they might try to drain it. Basically just do a full work up on the mysteries of Cancer Leg with everyone that's been seeing the pictures but hasn't seen it in person.
Option Two: Add a steroid to the program and wait and see.
|farrier's horse taught bobby to splash when we ran into them trail riding |
a few weeks ago
I was hesitant to jump right aboard the Cornell visit bandwagon. I mean, I'd love to do it. Cornell is an easy two hour trip south and the leg and foot really have to be seen to be believed. But I do have a budget, and the horse is sound as a hardy fucking mule. Vet assured me they're not much more expensive than my usual clinic, but they're plenty fucking expensive all on their own. Cornell is putting together a quote for me though, which I should have sometime this afternoon, and if it's not out of hand I'll jump right on it.
If it is, we'll go to the steroids.
The end goal here is that Bobby has to be sound enough to be a riding horse. There is no retirement pasture waiting for him at this point. If the cancer affects him to the point where he's in pain and we can't get a grip on it, I will put him down. It's a front leg on a horse that turns into a fucking terrorist when not in work. I'm not going to watch him hobble around with his skin sloughing off and his hoof threatening to detach.
But we're not there yet. We're still doing the thing, and fighting the fight, and confusing the medical world one random malady at a time.