Wednesday, August 9, 2017

All Rolled into One

For those patiently waiting for a glorious show recap, or any show recap at all, I'll start the post with a quick one:

It didn't happen.

The footing was horrendous for dressage warm up, and I felt like I could barely get Bobby out of the ground. We put in a correct but blah test which landed us with our worst score ever. I was pissed about that until looking at the rest of the scores from our ring and seeing that there was no way I was the only one who ran into such a thing. I'm not sure what the judge was looking for, but apparently none of us had it.

trying to get some forward, but it's hard when your horse is stuck in the ground

Cross country was cancelled because it was under water (as in, the water crossings were up to my thighs), and I wasn't about to drive back down to Geneseo for a stadium round on crap footing. This is the second time in the three years I've lived here they haven't been able to jump because of footing. It's basically a $200 combined test or dressage test which is not what I sign up for. Along with a lot of organizational issues--like there being no announcement anywhere about the cancellation as I found out from a friend who was grooming for someone else who'd heard a rumor--I will not be patronizing this event in the future. I sent in an event evaluation as well.

I have a lot of Feelings about eventing in WNY, but that's a post for another time.

#feelings. the horse was good though and earned his carrots.

Immediately following that I got deathly ill for a week straight, becoming intimately familiar with my bathroom floor where I took up residence for a couple days. Fortunately I finally felt human just in time for our week-long vacation to Maine which was amazing and I wanted never to come back from.

poor black bear said mountain climbing is exhausting. and no, she has no problem
being toted around like a 90lb kitten. 

I finally got to ride my horse again last week. It sucked. A lot. He wasn't really doing anything wrong, but I went into full on "I suck at riding. I'm the worst rider ever. I've broken all my horse's training. I will never ever get better." meltdown, and Bobby was just like, "Amen." My rides sucked, my lesson sucked, my morale sucked.

So Sunday I took Hubby up on his offer to accompany us to Mendon for a photo shoot where we had a blast romping around and soaking in one of the ponds, and I remembered that at the heart of it I just really like riding.

sometimes you gotta go deep for the best snacks

and then he tripped and really went under, but came right back up like, "got it!"
#snacksforlife

Sitting heavy in the background off all this was Bobby's cancer leg. Or more specifically the troublesome foot attached to cancer leg. Like I wrote about when he was first diagnosed, the coronet band has slowly been bulging outwards. It went from all along the top of his foot to really blowing out one side.

it's hard to get a good angle, but the whole top is squishy and swollen. he's also
due to get shod this week, but we're waiting to firm up a plan first. 

He's been one hundred percent sound. Nary a hitch, and BM even complimented how much freer he looked in our lesson than the last time she'd seen him go. He was adjusted by the chiro for an out of whack pelvis last Tuesday, but that was because he couldn't turn right and not because he felt crippled.

Obviously though, that's not normal so I put in a call to the vet Friday for her to come out Monday. Farrier also managed to come out that morning. I like to confirm that I'm not being crazy about hoof issues before talking to Vet as she doesn't seem to take them as seriously as I do--which is why I lean heavily on a really good farrier.

Farrier didn't have any clue what was going on with it. She sent pictures to a colleague who also didn't know. We talked about how the crack is now expanding out instead of up and down, so currently we're planning on ditching the wedges and trying some form of glue-ons and doing....something to the crack, I forget what.

freshly braided for the second time that day
and they're already falling out again. fucker. 

Vet had no idea what it was either, so I agreed to do x-rays with the worry that there might be some bone rotation/fuck uppery somewhere in there. She was without an assistant, but good old Bobby stepped right onto the blocks and happily ground tied without twitching a muscle while I helped her take the images....which showed nothing. At a loss, she gave me a bottle of pentoxifylline to start him back on, and told me she'd get the images sent right to his derm doctor and the ortho team at Cornell.

The only things Vet and Farrier really agreed on were that a) the skin looks good!, b) we were more than likely dealing with a side affect from the sarcoidosis, and c) there was no fucking way this horse should still be walking, let alone sound.

expectation defying moose, breaking the medical rules since the dawn of time.
(he was initially very suspicious of hubby following him around before he realized
hubby belongs to him and is a certified dispenser of treats.)

But he is sound. He feels fucking fabulous actually. In our two rides this week, I've dropped all upper of the lower levels expectations and just let him go back to basics--a training level frame with good pushing power and a steady rhythm. He's a solid A going around like that, so I'll let him keep being an A until he's ready to be an A++ and he wants to give me more.

ugh, this park is so pretty

Vet got all her information sent over to Cornell by the end of Monday, and then went on an emailing rampage to try to get any more information on the sarcoidosis. Like, she sent off an email to the vet in the Netherlands that did the biggest (and seemingly only) study on the disease. She hasn't heard back yet, but it kind of feels like a sarcoidosis celebrity.

Look, things have been kind of dismal around here. I have to get my kicks where I can.

Nobody knows jack shit about it though. Cornell's derm vet has the next best knowledge, but that's pretty minimal and all he was able to contribute was that he's never seen it do anything to the foot. The ortho team suggested a hematoma, but Vet had never seen one inside the hoof, and she felt that they weren't able to really get a good grip from the pictures that it's not just swelling in that one area. It's around the entire foot.

Soooo, that currently leaves me with two options.

Option One: Go down to Cornell and have the ortho team, derm vet, and farrier all take a look at him. They might have to ultrasound, they might biopsy, they might try to drain it. Basically just do a full work up on the mysteries of Cancer Leg with everyone that's been seeing the pictures but hasn't seen it in person.

Option Two: Add a steroid to the program and wait and see.

farrier's horse taught bobby to splash when we ran into them trail riding
a few weeks ago

I was hesitant to jump right aboard the Cornell visit bandwagon. I mean, I'd love to do it. Cornell is an easy two hour trip south and the leg and foot really have to be seen to be believed. But I do have a budget, and the horse is sound as a hardy fucking mule. Vet assured me they're not much more expensive than my usual clinic, but they're plenty fucking expensive all on their own. Cornell is putting together a quote for me though, which I should have sometime this afternoon, and if it's not out of hand I'll jump right on it.

If it is, we'll go to the steroids.

The end goal here is that Bobby has to be sound enough to be a riding horse. There is no retirement pasture waiting for him at this point. If the cancer affects him to the point where he's in pain and we can't get a grip on it, I will put him down. It's a front leg on a horse that turns into a fucking terrorist when not in work. I'm not going to watch him hobble around with his skin sloughing off and his hoof threatening to detach.

But we're not there yet. We're still doing the thing, and fighting the fight, and confusing the medical world one random malady at a time.

38 comments:

  1. I've missed your blog updates <3
    I was hoping things were going okay for you guys. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are good as long as you don't look below his knees. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you guys <3 hopefully Bobby is able to confound the experts by staying sound and happy for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already well on the way to confounding everyone ever that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Ugh Bobby. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like they should just do all the things for free in the name of science

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude. Tell me about it. Step up, Science!

      Delete
  5. Oh Bobby. That's no fun, sorry you have to deal with all this. I have some big connections at Colorado State's Equino Ortho dept if you ever want them/think they could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly not even sure yet what the Ortho team at Cornell is looking for. Vets say things to me now and it all kind of sounds the same and mostly useless.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see an update. More glad to hear Bobby is sound. water pic comments made me shoot coffee out my nose... so thanks for that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dying when he went under! Taking his water buffalo status to a whole new level.

      Delete
  7. Of course Bobby would have the world's weirdest ailments. Of course he would. That being said, I hope the Cornell quote is reasonable and they can prod at it. I love the pictures of y'all in the swamp, and can't help but think it's part of the massive Thoroughbred heart that's keeping him sound. Let's be real - if this was a warmblood they'd be all like OW MY PAW I CAN'T EVEN, but Bobby just keeps on Bobby'ing.

    Ps you're not a crap rider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby is definitely going full Bobby and doing the exact opposite of normal horses. Keep on magically healing yourself, bro.

      Delete
  8. Well that would be kind of hilarious if it wasn't so deadly serious. My thoughts are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so bizarre and absurd it is actually kind of funny.

      Delete
  9. I have never seen a hoof look like that. I hope he stays sound for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one else has ever seen it either apparently lol

      Delete
  10. I've been missing your updates as well. Congrats on having a celebrity horse, sorry it's for something that sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling him he has to stay sound long enough for you to come ride him!

      Delete
  11. That show sounds very frustrating. I would be super annoyed. Yay for Bobby for confounding the medical world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo annoying and angering.

      Delete
  12. That show sounds awful :( I'm happy to hear Mr. Bobby is sound. I love the pics in the water! Sending good vibes for continued soundness and more clear answers from the vet team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hoping they can give me something concrete to work with.

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry. This is so frustrating and heartbreaking. I have zero experience with sarcoid legs (obviously since Bobby seems to have invented that) but Rio spent two and a half weeks at Cornell when he was trying to die from epm, and I can vouch for them being fairly reasonable in the breaking the bank department. Like many times cheaper than Tufts which surprised me. Hopefully that will work out for you and you can get some answers.
    Also, sorry about the show, that would have pissed me off too. Glad Bobby was good though. At least there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are surprisingly affordable! Actually quite a bit cheaper than my usual clinic, those fucks.

      Delete
  14. I'm so sorry. I don't have any words that will help, because this completely sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely feels like we take one step forward and one step back.

      Delete
  15. So happy to see Bobby is being his normal funny self even with the issues he is facing. It really sucks and I hope you end up with answers without breaking the bank too badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not acting like there's a hung wrong with him, that's for sure.

      Delete
  16. Hoping everything is ultimately ok, Bobby is one tough ole' cuss. Sorry about the event. Don't blame you for not going back again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well he looks pretty awesome and I'm glad he's sound. Your game plan makes 100% sense. Hopefully Cornell will be affordable! They should use it as a learning experience for sure since there are so many questions about what's going on,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be learning about how limited my checkbook is lol

      Delete
  18. How frustrating with his leg- and that event. Like thanks for the memo xc was cancelled. I would lose it. Best wishes to Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So unprofessional! I'd hate to think how many people showed up thinking they were going to be running a full event and being blindsided. And they relocated the stadium without telling anyone either. I guess you have to be with The Trainer to have people tell you anything, but that's a rant for another day. ;)

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.