He still has cancer, we're still keeping an eagle eye on his feet, and his temperature, and his weight, and his breathing...and literally anything else that we can think of. But for whatever reason Bobby has decided that he feels great this week, and I don't want to be sad and just stand there and pet his mule ears and wonder when his last day is going to be when I have a (mysteriously/miraculously) sound horse ready to go and do the thing.
As BM put it in my lesson this morning, "Last week we thought he was going to die. This week he looks so happy and he's having the time of his life. Embrace it!"
![]() |
| really annoyed i wanted him to hold to still to get a pic of the driveway getting redone when all he wanted to do was go for a trail ride. |
We had a jumping lesson this morning to prepare for our hunter show on Sunday. We did three courses of six 18"-2' jumps after spending a good amount of time at the walk and trot getting reminded how to ride. BM had us working between renvers and travers to get his hind legs stepping under without winging around like the giant laterally inclined moose he is. Typical of us, we went from having to drill the bend when we last left off with lessons to now having too much bend and trying to stay straight.
We didn't do much in the canter because some fatty hasn't worked on two point in a jump saddle in far longer than she cares to admit and was struggling to maintain her breathing. I could hold the position just fine, it was just taking everything I had to do it. BM kindly pointed out that I'm probably going to die doing an entire hack division, but we all have to make sacrifices. #doitforthesatin
![]() |
| yeah, we're gonna need to do some personal grooming before sunday. |
We finally moved right along to the course not wasting any jumping efforts on warm up. Keep it short and sweet and preserve the feet. (Speaking of feet, when Farrier was back earlier this week she was like, "I went home last week and cried because Bobby has cancer and I love Bobby!" Bobby Magee: Fan Favorite.)
Our first run through was a hot mess. None of my body parts remembered what they were supposed to be doing, and Bobby was so stoked to be jumping that we might have finished the course faster than the speed of light. The second time I shortened my stirrups a hole, BM had gotten a read on what I needed to be yelled at for (All of it. Just...all of it.), and away we went. Much better, but still too grabby on my part causing some awkward distances. The third time was the charm and we hit everything out of stride and quit there.
....after doing a victory gallop lap because I could not pull my horse up. Could. Not. BM giggling while calling out, "Hoooo, ho, Bobby." was of no help.
I know some of you are going to judge me for taking a horse with a lot of problems and throwing him right back into the deep end. Two words: Bye, Felecia.
I don't know if the cancer is going to progress to where we have to euthanize him. I don't know if his feet are going to progress to where he's not comfortable enough to be ridden anymore. I do know that right now he's completely sound, he's happy to be in work, and if he gives any indication anything is too much, we'll stop right there.
![]() |
| what fungus leg? hoping to get that spot on his knee cleared up, but he may very well have it forever. the answer to all cancer questions is: i don't know. |
In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every ride I get to have on my horse. Who knows if it might be our last?



You do you Bobby Magee! So glad he's rallied and that you guys are having a good time. Kick some ass and bring home some satin Sunday 😁 fungus leg looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteShould we hang satin on fungus leg?
DeleteWOW the leg looks fantastic! And girl I'd be doing the same thing. Work keeps the horse happy, and if he's able, have at it! Enjoy him while you can. <3
ReplyDeleteIf only he hadn't reverted to being slightly feral with his time off lol
Deletea bobby's gotta be free to be a bobby and express his bobby self. i say, more power to him, and i hope you get to enjoy every second of that ride!
ReplyDeleteBobby does what Bobby wants.
DeleteIt can be really hard to live in the moment but soak up all the great moments like this!
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna try!
DeleteI love your perspective :) I hope both of you can continue to enjoy wonderful (if fast) rides ;)
ReplyDeleteBobby says faster is always better!
DeleteI say enjoy him while you have him! No use staying at home crying about stuff that may or may not happen in the future.
ReplyDeleteProbably going to cry some anyway because that's how I roll.
DeleteLove this. Kinda the same feeling I had after my dog had his first attack. He started feeling better and better, and while I knew his time was very very limited, it was so important to just let him dog and be there to enjoy the shit out of it with him.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you guys have a long time together and cancer fucks right off. No matter what, keep enjoying His Royal Bobbyness to the max. :)
Exactly. He doesn't know his days might be limited. Let him do the fun Bobby things he likes.
DeleteNo judgment from me! If he feels good you should enjoy every moment of it :) The leg is looking great!!
ReplyDeleteSo happy with how it's looking!
DeleteYay, go Bobby!
ReplyDeleteJust go maybe a little slower, Bobby. :P
DeleteLive in the moment, because that's where Bobby's living and he's clearly pretty happy there. :)
ReplyDeleteHe's always happy when he gets to do the jumping!
DeleteRide him as much as you can because you don't know when it will be the last one. Enjoy him to the fullest, he will be broken whether you ride him or not. The leg is looking good!
ReplyDeleteHopefully it stays that way!
DeleteTake what you can get. His leg looks great!
ReplyDeleteTaking every chance at riding on good footing to get some satin that I come across!
DeleteCan you cry and cheer at the same time? Like Cryeering? Idk, but that me right now.... Go Bobby! Enjoy every moment!!
ReplyDeletebonita of A Riding Habit
#cryeering I like it.
DeleteI'm with you -- go and do while you can and Bobby is happy :-) Have fun!!
ReplyDeleteGoing fast def makes Bobby happy.
DeleteSending a ton of happy thoughts and prayers for y'all. Enjoy enjoy enjoy life while you can. Great lesson to learn from horses...live in the moment like they do!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely trying to enjoy each day and ride more!
DeleteSounds like you've got the right mindset <3 Also hi, hope you don't mind a new reader/follower (:
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the crazy train! ;)
DeleteLove it, and love your mindset. #doitforthesatin. That's now a thing, just FYI.
ReplyDeleteNever, ever a bad time to #doitforthesatin
DeleteDo all you can and make the most of every show! Also, DAMN the leg looks good now.
ReplyDelete*Almost* normal looking!
Delete:) His leg looks so great. I'm so, so happy he's feeling good, too. Yay for enjoying the good times!
ReplyDeleteYou and I are both overdue for some good pony times!
DeleteI think you're doing all the right things. Bobby can do whatever Bobby wants. And Bobby wants to jump.
ReplyDelete