Tuesday, April 18, 2017

There are worse problems

Guys, damn it.

After my post yesterday about how good it's going to be to switch to strictly dressage lessons, and how BM has taken away my best friend crutch Inside Rein, we have overnight run into a new problem.

My fucking horse has figured that shit out and moved on with his life. "You want me to go into the outside rein? Fine. Stop laying on the inside rein? Fine. Bend off your inside leg? Fine. Fix the straightness with the outside leg? Fine."

Bobby. STOP. I thought we were going to have months to focus on this! You're learning the things too quickly and I don't have the learning to keep up with you!

hubby: "he looks like a cavalry mule."

He was quite saucy this morning coming out of his stall, but he didn't make a fuss when I put him right to work on pushing him with my inside leg into the outside rein. No. He just did it. I was like, "Uhh....uhhhhh....." and then figured I should be an active rider, didn't linger, and changed direction. It took a touch longer to the right which was a change from the other days, but still went down without much correction.

It carried over in the trot. He was so light and just with it right off the bat that after a few circles and trips down the long side both ways we threw in some serpentines to get a really good bend going off just my leg--far harder for me to commit to than him--and finally stepped into the right lead canter.

The right lead felt like a drunken sailor on a sinking ship yesterday, and while we started off with a little fishtailing, I focused more on getting him rounder today and that packaging him up helped get both ends under control. Once he felt with it, I asked for the medium keeping in mind BM's advice to bounce him up and ooze him forward. #ohmylort did we get it. He bounced his flat crouped booty and opened his stride right up. It lasted all of five strides before neither of us could hold it anymore, but I think I've got the 1+1 aids sorted in order to ask properly again.

basically the best at dressage. obvi.
also, LOL, pulling on the inside rein even when there's no inside rein!!

Across the diagonal, testing that I could get the change where I wanted it and not just wherever Bobby felt like giving it since diagonal at canter means change time. Hold the right bend, he holds the right lead. Straighten him out and cue, and he pops over. I do love that R-L change. It's always there for me.

To the left, he immediately felt straighter so we didn't do too much before I asked for the medium that way. Sit deep, bounce him up, both legs on, and send him forward. I could feel him sit and reach the first couple strides and then I suddenly felt him jump for a step before carrying on. It wasn't a buck or double pump like he sometimes throws out that wrench my back, and he carried on still completely in balance so I didn't even connect what had happened until I glanced down and saw we were on the right lead.

I must have poked him too much with my outside spur which is his change aid, and he took it and rolled with it. We were approaching the corner quickly so I was greedy and asked him to switch back over. Easy peasy, no fuss, so I immediately halted and shoved cookies down his throat.

always cookies all the time.

Who is this horse that's so in-tune to my aids and does what he's asked--inadvertently or not--without throwing a royal fucking shit fit?! I don't know how to ride this creature!

I let him have a long stretch break before going back to a collected trot which was where I wanted to work out of for the end of the ride. He was feeling so pumped about his changes and his candy and praise that he was looking for every twitch from me as an excuse to canter. I eventually got him serpentining all over the place, making him settle the fuck down and that my leg meant change the bend not canter, until he was like butter in my hands. He was super light, super forward, super still wanting to canter at the drop of a hat, but he let me channel all that into a touch of legs and off he went into his newly discovered extended trot where there's no lugging on the reins and we actually stay way uphill for a Bobby Horse.

If he can just keep a lid on his psychoness this season, we're going to have some fun at Second and maybe not entirely embarrass ourselves if we can get to the goal of one Third test by the end of the year!

19 comments:

  1. Yay Bobby! Sounds like a good ride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy when I luck into one like this!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I feel like he owes me a good ride every now and then for all the drama he causes.

      Delete
  3. Goddammit Bobby. Just when we're settling in to ride the struggle bus with you, you're all like "psyyyyche bitches! I'm awesome!!"

    Which. I guess is ok, actually. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I feel like the struggle bus is only temporarily out of service though lol

      Delete
  4. How terrible of Bobby!! Hahaha, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to ride a good horse, Bobby!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Sometimes he can be a good normal horse!

      Delete
  6. Literally laughed out loud at the pulling on the inside rein even when there isn't an inside rein.

    ReplyDelete
  7. he's figured out that in dressage he's a star. And he loves being the star. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed he wants to be a fancy prancing star at shows, too!

      Delete
  8. Man it just sucks to have awesome rides like that, doesn't it? No sympathy tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.