It seemed that at the end of the year I was writing checks left and right to the vet and the farrier, and I thought for sure that I was going to tally those two areas up and fall dead in disbelief. Really though, they weren't as bad as expected.
Inspired by Karen's horse expenses posts, let's take a look at what Bobby cost in 2016! (It's cold. The weather is shit. My horse isn't doing much. Bear with me.)
- This is the only one I rounded on. Bobby's SmartPak's run around $65 a month, and I bought a 50lb bag of Magnesium at the beginning of the year I'm still feeding out.
- This doesn't seem like much until you consider Bobby was barefoot and trimmed by myself up until the first week of October. We're feeling super confident that he'll be able to go in nothing more exciting than plain flat aluminium shoes next cycle, so while shoeing is going to be a regular added expense next year, at least it won't be a crazy expensive one.
- I paid next to nothing out of pocket because I worked off all my lessons and training rides. When Bobby got injured and lessons stopped, work went towards taking money off my board instead.
- Starting in January I'm going to try to pay for a bulk block of monthly lessons which should be easy enough to fit into the budget with the break I get doing barn chores. Hopefully.
- Basically nothing, right?! I included body work in this total which makes the vet work seem even less expensive. I mean, what's a few x-rays and lameness exams in a year's work? Never mind that those x-rays were essentially useless and I never got a solid diagnosis with all those lameness checks.
- Gas included with entry fees. I never stayed overnight anywhere so I didn't have to pay for a hotel or stall.
- Mostly spent on riding gloves I think? This section was anything from fly spray to blankets to miscellaneous tack--bits, bridle, reins, etc.
- Memberships fees and truck and trailer repair/upkeep costs.
Overall total: $11,698.53
- A mere drop in the water, yes? And in case you think your horse husband is the best...you're wrong. Hubby's response? "Happy Carly: Priceless."
What about you guys? Did this year drain you dry, or run about par for the course? Any areas you know you spent more on than usual? Do you total your year-end horse expenses, or do you not want to go anywhere near those numbers?