Thursday, August 25, 2016

Move Out

Thank you guys so much for all the rah-rah on my last posts. You are the loveliest of lovelies, and I totally count blog friends as part of my pony support system.

BM asked if I wanted to do another hunter show this weekend, but I'd already clocked out on that mindset and didn't want to show up mentally unprepared. Instead I gave ole britches two days off and brought him back to work in dressage tack yesterday and today.

i hadn't used the black tack in so long it was growing mold. whoops.

The biggest thing BM and I discussed after the show (well, really all the time, just with more seriousness as far as putting it into motion now) was getting me comfortable jumping at speed again. Now that I know Bobby has a rock solid half halt, he'll listen in front of the fence, and he's not going to take off with me--hmm, that all sounds like the same thing, you chicken--I should theoretically be comfortable letting him carry more pace to the jumps.

The problem is that Bobby sucks at lengthening his stride at the canter. He can go faster, sure, but actually opening up his stride instead of just running forward with tiny little pony steps are two different things.

Big canter = okay.

Fast little canter = not okay because horse jumps flat and then lands on his face.

So my last two rides have been focused on getting Bobby to move out and carry on like he's got some sort of dressage training under his belt.

if we could make his stride do this at the canter we'd be golden.

I forgot how different riding Bobby dressage than jumping is. I know it shouldn't technically be a different warm up (right Emma?), but who wants to walk for twenty minutes straight before moving on to literally anything else when you're in the jumping mindset?

After lots and lots of walking, Bobby's trot has been downright bomb ass the past two days. It's the bitchingest working trot ever--like, maybe we could actually not automatically be pinpointed as the sole awkward, ugly Thoroughbred in Second with that trot. Small wins, guys. We're working with Bobby here. STILL A SEXY TROT.

Anyway, the focus is the canter.

Although really I don't have much to say about it because it's been awesome. I put my leg on, my horse opens his stride, we're covering ground, we're not running on the forehand about to get lapped by a pony...you know, dressage training!

Sadly this means there's only one conclusion to draw here. We need to do a real, serious, get the butt engaged and the horse light up front warm up even if we're going to jump. What a pain.

had to take the "new" saddle on a test ride as
soon as i got it on friday. bobby wasn't impressed.
or even awake.

Jump lesson tomorrow. We'll see if I can stick to my guns on that.

12 comments:

  1. Flatwork is the hardest part of jumping. FO SHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it so hard to warm up properly for jumping!? I am also always so tempted to skip the important stuff and get right to the jumps.. yargh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how everything is all connected.

    Also I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warming up for jumping is actually the hardest thing ever

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh. I know that feel. Not coincidentally, so does my bruised ass haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bomb Ass Bobby is way better than Ass Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely flatwork is super important for jumping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As they say... Jumping is just flat work with obstacles in the way. Too bad I can't wrap my tiny brain around that when trying to jump.
    Jampy likes the tiny fast canter too... I call it spinning his wheels because he goes absolutely no where really fast. Makes for interesting course work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I could just do dressage forever and not have to worry about it... oh wait I love jumping cross country too much dammit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've followed your blog for quite a while, but I am not much of a commenter. I am super proud of you for overcoming all you have and doing so well this summer. Who cares what level or what height! Progress is progress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. and Olympians that win gold ride in old Stubbens too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flat work is so borrrring tho! ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.