Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sound bites* from our hunter lesson

*(Is it bites or bytes? I don't know. Sound snippets sounds like a poorly named racehorse.)

With our first show of the season this Sunday, BM had me ride my own horse instead of her usual training ride so she could give us some pro advice on how not to embarrass the barn to best navigate a hunter course. I know. Like, who does she think I am, some sort of rider or something?


Bobby was a complete packer and listened to whatever I told him to do, even if I told him to add in ten strides in a five stride while BM chased after us yelling, "GO, GO, GOOOO!!!" Never one to miss an opportunity to use bullet points, here are some things that stuck with me when I was paying attention enough to not worry about dying. Because yes, we jumped everything, and yes my horse was a saint, but yes, I did have B drop a 2'6" fence to 2'3" because it looked too big.

  • He bends, he goes in his corners, he's got great changes. You don't even know how far ahead of the curve you already are.
  • Soft reins, soft hands. 
  • The biggest thing they're going to want to see is submission. Does your horse look easy to ride? Or do you look like you're going to die?
  • Long neck, quiet canter. If your horse looks drugged, you're okay. 
  • Quiet doesn't mean slow. Open up his stride! Make his neck long and tell him to move out.
  • Get that distance! He doesn't need to pat the ground there. We're over that stage! Make. Him. GO.
  • Get the fuck out of that line! You're coming in perfectly, but then you need to land and tell him, "Go! Get out of here, Bobby!"
  • He wants to bulge with that right shoulder. Make sure you hold your outside rein whenever you're going left. 
  • You are not going to die. I'm going to be standing by the ring the whole time, and if I think you're doing that bad, I'll just make you get off.
This whole showing with your barn thing is so strange. People actually at a show with you, helping you and telling you what to do? Sorcery!

"making me stand in this wash stall for 20 minutes is sorcery. let's just go eat snacks."

Of course it was 80* and sunny today, but should be raining and 40* by Sunday. It's not like it's the middle of May or anything. It's fine. I'll just bust out my winter coat. 

21 comments:

  1. It's Bheits (jk making shit up again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actual lol at the inter coat in may thing. A show with a barn group sounds fun though; good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Hunter shows! I like Hunter Bobby and Hunter Carly.

    And yes, if you can bend in corners and do lead changes, you've got this sh*t on lock. Can't wait to read the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I predict that this will be magical and you will find your inner Hunter Princess just waiting to be let out. You'll be monogramming everything in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tidbits! Have fun :) Don't look like you're gonna die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If your horse looks drugged, you're ok." LOLZ.

    But BM isn't wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Funny cause it's all true. Make sure you swap your reins out for all leather ones. No rubber allowed in hunterland!
    Looking forward to the recap! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to dive into the black hole that is my tack trunk looking for my leather ones because I was running late for the lesson thanks to dyeing my horse's tail. Plus I hate leather reins, so absolutely any excuse not to use them is a-okay by me! ;)

      Delete
  8. Good luck and ride well! Also, your comment about rain and cold made me check the weather where I am this weekend because I usually have similar weather. I'll at least be in the 50s!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you become a hunter princess for real, I am going to giggle for an irrationally long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never, ever happening. Hunters are sooooooo boring, and expensive, and I'd rather gallop balls to the wall to a maxed out Prelim table than have to canter five strides between 2'6" stadium jumps. #makessenseinmyhead

      Delete
  10. Good luck!! Every now and then peoples' posts about jumping make me want to jump again, this post made me miss jumping lessons so much! One day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I experienced showing with a barn for the first time this winter and I'm hooked. Showing alone is for the birds

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super exciting. Bobby totally has the dopey look down pat - you will be jusssst fiiiiine :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your coach's sound bites. :) It will be awesome. and layers- the secret to May is layers....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hunters are so deceptive because you feel like you should be going SLOW... but you actually need to have some "gallop" (eventers are laughing, but WHATEVER) to find the distances.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Get the fuck out of that line!" --the struggle is real. You're going to do fine in Hunterland. Remember-fake it until you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your BM sounds like a hilarious lady- can't wait to see how it goes in Hunterland!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'm also enjoying the mental image of you in the middle of your course and BM getting on the PA SYSTEM all PLEASE STOP YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. Which come to think of it is something I probably should have experienced in the IHSA years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have to have a talk about me completing ALL the jumps before celebrating. You know, course work and all that. ;D

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.