Friday, May 20, 2016

Here we go

I feel like the time of reckoning is upon is. Will we pass muster as a real dressage pair, or won't we? Dun dun dunnnnn.

Okay, so it's only a schooling show this weekend, but it's one of the four shows my GMO puts on and these scores will count for year-end awards, so it's a big deal to me. It's also going to be our Second Level debut, and while I feel prepared and nothing in any of those tests feels difficult, part of me is still waiting to be called out as a seriously delusional impostor.

fancy dressage horse just do not look like this,

Either way, I'm going into this with the mindset of it being a learning experience to launch us into the rest of the season. I haven't had real dressage feedback since Trainer got sick last year. I'm hoping for some useful critiques that will show me where I need to focus most before we do Second at a real fancy prancing show the first weekend of June.

In my ride today, I wanted to hit two things: the counter canter and medium trot.

After getting Bobby all riled up Wednesday with the changes, I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be all neurotic and change happy during our test. I mean, he's always neurotic, but he did hold the counter canter without any fuss today. He always wants to get the right answer--even if he thinks he knows the right answer and you're asking the wrong thing--so as long as my aids are clear between those two things, he rarely messes them up.

The medium trot was another story. He's been a bit sluggish in them lately, so I brought Mr Tappy back out. Mr Tappy always brings out the big trot...eventually.

basically what things look like when mr tappy comes to play

There was much flailing, some cantering, some slamming of the brakes, one minor wall sit, and then one great big medium that let me put the whip away and take a walk break to get the relaxation back before trying again. Fortunately, Mr Tappy had done his job and we got two good ones to end on.

I'm really hoping we won't embarrass ourselves. I don't want to come back here and have to tell you all that what I've been touting as my solid Second horse is actually a complete joke of a dressage mule.

even if those ears are incriminating



18 comments:

  1. Being a mule is no excuse. Tell Bobby that if Nilla can do dressage, he can step it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this! You, too Bobby, don't be a brat.
    Good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!! You will be super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dressage mule ears are the BEST dressage ears, because they look XXXXLLLL relaxed when they go airplane-y. Does that make sense? I'm going to say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooo good luck! You'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Can't wait to read how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear how it went either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Bobby that it's his moment to SHINE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go fancy dressage mule! Can't wait to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i mean, being seriously delusional gets me through a lot of things that someone more reasonable and realistic might not get the opportunity to enjoy... lol. seriously tho i hope you have so much fun and that Bobby comes out dressed to impress!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure you guys will rock it in typical PWS style!

    (PWS=Poor woman showing haha)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah hope you did well. Looking forward to a recap, as I work on my own recap. Did Bobby shine like the good mule he isn't? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meh. I think my first attempt at 2nd was some kind of truly horrifying %. Second level still sucks for us. It just sucks overall. I think as long as you don't get eliminated or kill your horse, it's technically a success. (Scratch that. I think maybe you can also murder the horse and still be a success. Depends on the test.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, how did it go? Looking forward to the recap!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.