Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Control Freak

You guys. I have figured out the source of all of my uncontrollable fear and anxiety!

I mean, besides the fear of falling, the fear of getting hurt, the fear of wrecking, the fear of looking like and idiot in front of people, and the fear of bringing down a rail and having to start all over again.

Okay, so I have come to grips with one of the sources of all my uncontrollable fear and anxiety.

naked horse turnout time!

It' no secret I'm one of the popular Type A control freaks in the horse world. There are many of us. We're everywhere.

When Bobby was jumping before, I had no control of what he did once he turned in and locked onto the fence. He didn't have a reliable half halt, so I basically just ended up sitting there at the mercy of my bargey, unable-to-find-a-distance-or-make-good-decisions horse.

Not okay in control freak world!

Now that I have some input into what's happening beneath me and the way we approach the oh so terrifying painted sticks (and why cross country isn't scary because Bobby listens to me outside of the ring because Bobby Reasons), I think I'll be able to make some headway into this confidence thing. For instance, today I jumped my first oxer of the year.

I poked my head into the ring when I got to the barn this morning to see what jumps were set up. I'd already decided I wanted to jump again (because the amount of jumping I do in two days is probably less than what most people do in one schooling), and BM had what looked like a super fun exercise set up from the night before.


I didn't put anything down. I shortened my stirrups up two holes because I was feeling really wobbly yesterday in the canter. That made everything much better except for my leg strength which is now almost nonexistent in two point. Feeling super secure, I got Bobby cruising in the canter. Big jumps, MOAR PACE!

We started off from the shorter approach on the diagonal from the left. Coming out of the corner with not a lot of space to get everything sorted, I knew I had to keep my leg on to keep the motor going. I did, and with our awesome forward pace, the 2'6" jump was easy peasy and came right out of stride. A longer approach from the right was also no problem, as I kept my leg on to keep up the good canter and Bobby didn't take advantage and go speeding away.

We looped over both twice more, with only a little blip where I saw a longer spot and decided I had itty bitty balls and would go for it. I gave Bobby a tap on the shoulder to reinforce my decision and he took it with zero fuss.

also time for naked horse tail scrub.

With that success, I kept on coming to the oxer. I ended up on the left lead which was a longer approach, but whatevs. So brave. Bobby sucked back a little when we turned in, probably in response to me unwittingly tensing up, but I just closed my leg and told him to keep on coming. The very last stride before the jump, he surged forward, but it wasn't a rude burst. He simply saw his spot and knew he had to add a little extra umph to get there. Good pony making good decisions!

I was expecting it to feel like some huge jump that left us hanging in the air for an hour, but no. Let's be real. It was a 2'9" swedish, my horse is giant, and he basically stepped over it. Still felt like a giant win to me!!

i was a good britches, feed me all the carrots.

20 comments:

  1. I do believe that's the cutest Bobby picture ever. Obviously he gets more cute when he's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at my desk silently cheering for you, and in my head I'm jumping up and down and waving giant imaginary pom-poms. B-R-A-V-E-R-Y! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for jumping! Hooray for jumping big jumps! I'm glad you're feeling more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! So happy you're feeling more confident! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you on that! I have had to learn to let go. I generally don't have any real plan going in to a ride anymore, because so often we couldnt stick to said plan and I would lose it and get frustrated. Things are better now that I just roll with whatever horse I lavender me that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it up girl! That's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally awesome. Go Bobby with your badass self

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great win! Go you!!! :D I am totally a control freak too, I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A clean butt for a good boy! Just make sure you place the carrots in the correct end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go! I definitely know how much of a struggle it can be to be a control freak haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOOD FOR YOU! Swedish oxers are the best :) Glad your confidence is improving, I have a feeling you'll be back to 4' Bad Ass Carly in no time (not that you're not a Bad Ass now)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ROCK ON!! And welcome to the Control Freak Club. I've started singing "Let it Go" from Frozen when I school XC and I want to go into grabby control freak mode.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wooooo yay for itty bitty balls!!! gettin bigger erry day! (#thatswhatshesaid lol)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn, girl! That is awesome that you are working through your fear! You had a plan and you are following through. That is huge. But also you are learning/acknowledging one of your own characteristics and how it influences your riding. That's powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Totally cheering for you here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comos, Thule, and I are all partying over here on your behalf!! Way. To. Ride.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.