Monday, January 25, 2016

Head Update

Ugh, you guys. This horse makes my brain hurt.

For real though.


It's been two weeks since I had my head bashed in by Bobby's head, and the headaches are still pretty consistent albeit pleasantly mild the past few days. The first week was a frustrating disaster. I had a lot of issues with my vision for the first several days, and a nonstop pounding headache. Sitting around the house with nothing to do and not able to see anything (I had to have my glasses off to combat the nauseating lack of focus, so while things weren't weirdly blurring in and out of focus, I couldn't see jack shit.) was enough to make me crazy.

I went out to the barn a couple of times once I could see the road clearly again, but I mostly just wandered around flying a nutty Bobby kite.


Once I did start riding again, the headaches--which had tapered off to present but not debilitating--became persistent and painful again. I was getting off after rides with slamming, pulsing, "let me just sit down and die pain" behind my eyes. It's pretty pathetic that I took such a hit and didn't even get to say I fell of my horse. Special talents, I have them.

I finally got my Ovation helmet out of my trailer to try to ride in because it has an adjustable dial at the back of it, and I thought if I was able to ride with it a little looser, it wouldn't make my head pound so much. There was instant improvement, and it made me reexamine my Charles Owen that I was riding in when I took the hit.


The area of impact in the lining is hard, and now I wonder if I got bashed hard enough to damage it. The helmet is coming up on its fourth year, so it's about time to replace it anyway, but I'm wondering if it's even possible to damage one like that. What do you guys think?

17 comments:

  1. Just dropping them on the ground can damage them, so I'd say yeah, big skull hitting helmet = damage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah. You got a concussion that severe through a helmet, totally stands to reason the helmet lost some structural integrity. That really sucks, your symptoms are so crazy. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sucks. Long time reader. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Here is my unsolicted advice; let yourself heal. It's winter, take a breather. It sounds like you have a good-plan in place for the Bobert. Love you're blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also going to vote yes on a new helmet. My concussion symptoms were very much like yours (at least my second one) and I did not have a helmet on. My doctor scolded me because I only rested 3 days and then tried to go back to work and normal life. She told me no physical activity for a month and to slow everything way down. I had refused to go in, but while I was at work I couldn't walk in a straight line and felt like everything was moving. And, of course, the pain. Just something to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm honestly surprised you're already riding again. When I had a concussion like that my doctor didn't want me riding for over a month. I'm definitely in the camp of you should probably replace your helmet (CO does a decent trade program - not sure how many years it's valid for though)

    Also I would try to store your helmet indoors or in the tack room... Extreme temps aren't good for their longevity I'm almost positive. Not an expert but I've had my share of concussions and your brain probably needs to heal if you're experiencing severe side effects still.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh yeah helmet needs to go in the trash, sadly. COs protect your head by having the interior foam collapse (and dispersing the blow), so even if the damage isn't visible to the naked eye, the protection value is already gone. :-( I don't recall how your accident happened, but if the helmet sustained any impact, I'd definitely get rid of it. A helmet is hella cheaper than a brain.

    But yes, definitely look in to a CO trade in program or something. They might help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh I think I would still be pretty debilitated by that much head pain! I am such a head ache wuss though. But yes, I'm in the new helmet camp. Hope you can get some more rear and start feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely replace your helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helmet is trashed, for sure! Sucks to have to buy a new one, but it definitely won't protect your brain again in case Bobby whacks you with another one of his body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blech, hope you start feeling 100% again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you got hit hard enough THROUGH YOUR HELMET for you to have a concussion like that, it's time to replace that sucker. And I'm really sorry you're still having headaches and vision problems. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, I'd go ahead and replace it, especially since it's coming up on a replacement date anyway. I hope you feel better soon! :( (And let me know if you need a sweet, sparkly navy JR8 at a discount. :P )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always always always replace. I know this is different but my brother just got in a motorcycle accident and had just replaced his helmet a week prior and it saved his life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I fell four times with my CO and I DEF should have replaced it sooner. Don't follow my lead. Sadly, to the trash it goes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charles Owen has a really good exchange deal from busted helmets. I think they give you a hefty discount toward a new one -- also, Tack of the Day had a big sale this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chiming in with everyone else: replace the helmet. It sucks, but it's the smart thing to do. If you're still getting headaches from riding, you will save time in the long run by resting more, as boring as it is. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with the above. Time for a new one. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.