Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Mr Tappy goes for a ride along: Pt. II

I went out to ride Saturday afternoon. It had finally gotten a little chillier, so I tucked Bobby under his butt cape and we headed into the outdoor once again to enjoy the sun despite the cold. He was his usual dopey self as I tightened his girth, dropped my stirrups, and got on.

I let him walk one lap on the buckle as I got my coat adjusted and generally shifted and fiddled around before picking up my reins to get to work. Bobby obediently dropped his head and did the same. After one lap, I halted him at the far end of the ring to do a turn on the forehand to change direction.

He'd barely completed the halt before he started going backwards--not in a frantic way, but in a "Oh, gosh. We've halted. Time for a rein back. I know how to do this. Just do it quickly so we can keep going." way. I corrected him, had him halt again, and asked for the turn.

He's done turns on the forehand approximately one million and a half times. This wasn't a new request. It wasn't a difficult request. But for whatever reason, it completely set Bobby off.

He whipped around, legs flailing in every direction, stepping all over himself (remind me to take pictures of his now shredded Dover boots when I get back), until he was facing the opposite direction. Whatever, Bobby. We'll come around and try it again.

Only he'd frozen in place and wouldn't move his feet.


That's not a new Bobby evasion by any means, so I heaved an exasperated sigh and went through the motions of getting him unstuck. I grabbed mane with one hand since he does occasionally go up before he goes forward, used my other hand to give him a big opening rein into the wide open space of the arena, and put my leg on relentlessly until he took a step forward.

Back around after a lap and try again. Once more he flung himself around to face the opposite direction and added in racing backwards this time. I quit on the idea of a turn on the forehand and simplified the plan to walking a lap and then halting calmly at that end of the arena before calmly walking off again.

Nope.

NOPE.


Once he halted, I'd scratch and pet his neck and tell him he was a good boy. While I was doing this, he'd bend his entire dinosaur neck and head and shoulders around to touch my boot. He had to splay his front legs out to compensate for how twisted he was getting himself, so when I did finally manage to get him walking again, he'd half lurch, half fall forward.

Mostly it was just him doing this over and over again, to both sides of his body. I could feel his heart pounding under my legs, but he wasn't snorting, his eyes weren't wide, he wasn't trembling. He wasn't biting at my leg or his own sides. He was just bending his whole front half around to look back at me.

Occasionally he would change things up when I asked him to walk off. Sometimes it was throwing himself sideways. Sometimes it was launching forward into a canter instead of a walk. Once he even sat backwards on top of the arena fence.

The finale came when BM left the ring with her lesson student and there was just me and another girl hacking a horse in the ring. Bobby and I were standing at the far end of the ring with my reins completely drooped. I was petting his neck and he was standing like an idiot with his front legs wide apart after turning back a few times when suddenly his whole front end buckled and the back half started to go down with it.

I goosed him with my spurs and yelled, "Don't you dare lay down with me, asshole!" He hopped back up, but was still frozen in place. At that point I kicked my feet out of the stirrups and got ready to bail if he tried it again. He has no concern for what happens to his body when he gets in this mindset, and I had no problem imagining him laying down right on top of me without a care in the world.

I finally got him unstuck and gave up the whole "halting calmly" thing to trot it out again.

We trotted nonstop for an entire hour. BM gave another lesson. The girl I was riding with hacked, untacked, blanketed and turned out the horse, and had another one out and groomed by the time I was done. It took every minute of that hour to get Bobby to take a breath, relax his back, and just trot around like no big deal.

Every now and then as we went around, he'd randomly lose his cool and go jetting sideways before getting back to work with no correction from me. It was like his brain would just misfire out of nowhere and then go back to being normal.

Once he was consistently loose, I halted him at the end of the ring again. He was totally relaxed and we stood there on a looped rein for a bit before he calmly walked off when asked to.

I hopped off after that, gave Arthur some thorough belly rubs, and put Bobby away for the night.

"it's time to get off now, human.
i'm in serious need of loving down here."

This wasn't the first time Bobby's used laying down as an evasion to get out of work. He tried it a few times when we were teaching him to drive. It was, however, the first time he's tried it while I was on his back.

Now I know to assuage readers I have to cover all the bases first before blaming it on a brain that has in the past malfunctioned violently and seemingly did the same over the weekend.
  • He's been in the outdoor dozens of times since moving to this barn.
  • He's ridden in the ring and on trail with all the horses that he worked around Saturday.
  • He's worn his quarter sheet already this year without issue.
  • None of his tack or boots changed in the slightest.
  • He wasn't sore in his back once I got off, and his saddle was still sitting right where I'd put it when I got on.
  • He's not lame, and all he was (supposed to be) doing was walking and halting.
  • Ulcers? Maybe. 
  • A Lymes flare up that made him body sore? Maybe, but again he wasn't actually working yet, and he didn't appear body sore once I got off.
  • Mr Tappy? Probably, though while we were halted, I was alternately scratching his neck with the hand that held my whip and the one that didn't, and he didn't once acknowledge it.
  • Neurological problems? Doubtful. I've had two different vet offices do neurological testing on him in the years I've owned him precisely for this reason (Vet, is my horse bat shit crazy because his brain is damaged?), and they've never found anything.
  • Genetics? Those golden eyes are courtesy of a papa with a well founded reputation for being the biggest asshole to ever walk the earth on two legs because he was too busy rearing to ever lead quietly beside you. Amirite, Sarah
So  what does that leave us with? A horse that will occasionally sully up and have a full blown melt down because he can?

I know that won't be the popular answer, but for me--knowing this horse his entire life--it's the most likely.

ignoring the whip, the end of the arena, and whatever
other traumatizing thing he'd thought up the day before
to watch people pull into the parking lot. parked vehicles:
now that's something he's consistently freaked out by.
#NEUROTIC. 

I went back out Sunday morning prepared to do battle if necessary. I got him booted, wrapped (since he destroyed my hind boots), put his quarter sheet back on because it was super chilly out, and grabbed my whip.

I'm a big proponent of ground work, so first things first, we marched over to the end of the ring and stood there for awhile. I rubbed his face, scratched his neck, gave him lots of pats, and told him what a good boy he was.

"whatever. just going to stand here with my mule face on."

He wasn't remotely concerned with anything, so I spent some time running the whip all over his body. That didn't light so much of a spark, so then I asked him to do a turn on the forehand in hand which involved asking him to move his hind quarters over by tapping him with the whip. He did so both directions without fuss, and then stood quietly afterwards.

"whatever. whips don't bother me.
that horse getting hayed in the barn does concern me though."

Since he was so chill, I jumped on him, kept my reins on the buckle and repeated what I'd done Saturday. We walked one lap and then halted at the far end of the ring. Bobby stood quietly while I petted him before walking off with the slightest squeeze of my legs.

listening mule ears don't care.

I repeated the same process on the buckle once again with the same results, and then picked up my reins and came around again. Bobby dropped his head and continued to march forward, halted when asked, and stood quietly, occasionally glancing back at me to see what we're were doing.

"what's all the fuss about, lady?"

After that, I walked him to the middle of the ring, jumped off, and put him away. He won't get ridden all week since I'll be in Illinois, and I think that was a really good five minute mental ride that he can hopefully sit on while I'm gone.

I also think it goes to show how much of Bobby's problem is all in his head. For whatever reason, something will offend him, and he mentally cannot come back down. He keeps getting himself more and more upset over it.

Could there be a real physical issue? Possibly.

Is it more likely he's a difficult horse with certain issues that are unfounded and acted out on in an uncalled for manner? Um, yes.

17 comments:

  1. As the owner of a gelding who also has "days" like this, I can believe he might just have a 'tude once in awhile. Griffin's are few and far between (and I ride less than you), but gaddamn, when the kid is ON he is ON and it's HEINOUS.

    Your memes in this....so spot on. Bobby is also rather cute when he wants to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he was trying to spin like a Reiner 😜

    Laying down, oh Bobby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when people, who have most likely never even seen your horse, try to diagnose them. If you blame bad behavior on something physical, they'll say it's a mental issue. If you blame it on a mental issue, then it surely must be physical or a lack of your skills. Everyone is a damn vet, horse psychic, or trainer these days! Okay, not everyone, but a lot. Anyway, I had pretty much the exact same problem with Indy at the beginning of the month for a couple of rides. It's not fun, so I totally feel for you. I'm glad that Bobby was better the next day and that you were able to have a quick, easy ride on him before you left. Hopefully he's back to normal when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woman, you have the patience of a thousand saints. I totally feel you with the unfounded meltdowns, only the Pony's are much less dramatic. Some horses just come unglued sometimes - I watched Buck Davidson not be able to get a 3* horse into the start box at Fair Hill because it was having a complete meltdown. So, it's not just us little people! Glad you were able to have a successful brain day for Bobby before you left for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting high (for no obvious reason) and not coming back down? Possible OTTB specialty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally should have been blogging back when App was younger, we had such similar rides. When he was on, he was ON and would do anything you asked. When he was off, lord have mercy someone better watch out because he could not Horse to save his life. There were times I would call "war sessions" because he would fight so long and hard over stupid, simple stuff. At one show, I literally could not get on him and had to have people hold him still so I could hop on. Yeah....

    Crazy. Not just for OTTBs anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mental issues happen. ;-) To all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina has mental issues, too, you are definitely not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What the heck, haha. Bobby is a nut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mental issues exist. It sounds like it's in his head. Even if he did have a physical issue, you were asking him to walk and halt. Outside of his back being broken, he should have gotten over any soreness and been able to do that simple thing. Nilla has had two panic attacks on me where she actually started hyperventilating and tried to lay down. Sometimes they're brains just fry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely the boogie man hiding at the end of the ring that day. He just figured that if he laid down and pretended to sleep he'd be saving you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez Bobby, give Carly a break! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. From the very first minute I started reading this blog, I was like "BOBBY AND MURRAY ARE CUT OF THE SAME CLOTH." Which has never been intended to be insulting to Bobby (and mostly hopeful for Murray since Roberto can jump like a mofo). While Murray hasn't quite reached this level of melt down under saddle, he has, occasionally, backed around the entire arena to the point of backing into a fence because he didn't want to cross the arena past... some weirdly groomed ground? He has lay down. He has lay down with me in the tack, while I'm tacking him up, and while he's been being disciplined for general jackassery. I 100% do not think it is unreasonable that it is all in their heads. Sure, physical problems could be there too, but sometimes... my horse is just cracked.

    Or gremlins. I firmly believe in gremlins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg that little gray kitty is too cute.... but seriously, yea it's doing proper due diligence to check for physical issues, but, well, sometimes horses just get a case of the 'idonwannas' (some moreso than others...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn, woman, you should have some chocolate and wine for that little session. Or better yet, get Bobby likkered up and maybe it would help unfry his brain? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pretty confident you need a halter nameplate with "Ricky Bobby" on it for just such occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Mr. Tappy stories. Keep 'em coming! I fully believe that sometimes horses just have those days where they mentally lose their shit over ridiculous things, just like we do.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.