Sunday, October 6, 2013

ALL THE PICTURES.

After Bobby went turkey hunting earlier this week, my next few rides were downright pedestrian in comparison. I went on another trail ride to do some conditioning work before hunting season kicked off, and I got my baseline for the two point challenge in the xcountry field another day (Six minutes, for those who are dying to know.).

On Saturday, I put him through a pretty extensive dressage schooling that he started off rough but ended really well. I know you're supposed to use lateral work to help warm a horse up, but Bobby is the opposite. He is literally incapable of moving sideways until he's been working for twenty minutes and has been packaged into a more compact Bobby-frame. He's too long and enjoys flailing about too much otherwise.

But anyway! Those were pretty boring rides which is why I didn't put forth the effort into blogging about them. Let's have pictures! And video! Of jumping!

!!!

I warmed Bobby up in the outdoor completely barefoot. He was the teeniest bit mincy wherever the footing was packed down, but overall felt pretty durned sound.

he was not feeling pretty durned cooperative on the flat however.

I kept the warm up short before putting his boots on and getting started over jumps.

Twice over the gate:



Twice over the coop:



Then we started working through my favorite grid: three bounces, two strides to an oxer.




Twice through with just the bounces, then the last jump went up to a 2'9" (ish? might have been 3'?) vertical. Twice through with that setup:



Finally made the last jump an oxer (back rail either 3' or 3'3". I haven't figure out the holes on the 6' standards yet.) and went through a few times to finish:


he almost jumped me out of the tack on landing on this one, he cracked his
hind end up so high. he gets a little exuberant with his tuckus every now and then.


The height wasn't huge--I usually use this grid to knock the height up to around 4'--but I went with spread this time. Bobby was unimpressed. When your regular jump length lands you nearly a full stride past the fence as it is, a wide oxer is cake.


So. Nothing too exciting, but I'm happy to report that I feel like a little bit of a boss jumping again. I think Bobby and I hobbling along on our broken feet for a couple of months recharged my brain. I feel like a capable rider over fences for the first time in a looong time. My position can still be tweaked--my leg still slips back more than I want it to--but my heels are down, my hands are capable of going forward instead of yanking on his mouth, and going faster than a western pleasure lope when approaching a fence is suddenly easy peasy.

Hopefully the trend continues. Being friends with my big, dumb donkey is fun.

"pretending like i know how to pose is so exhausting, you guys."

20 comments:

  1. Looking awesome! Bobby just eats up those jumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, nice to see you guys out there again! Interesting on the lateral work, I'm still working out how it benefits Connor, but it does seem to be the opposite of Bobby. Weird horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you look Boss! Your pics over the coop you held your position nearly identical both pics, consistency is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't need no stinkin' shoes man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that's definitely a horse that can't go without shoes ;P

    Looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorely tempted to bring him out and flaunt of his naked feet to NF when he was at the barn Friday, but I refrained. Being the bigger person and all, lol.

      Delete
  6. He makes the jumps look easy, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I clipped almost all of his sun burnt red winter coat off, so now he has the start of his fluffy black winter coat again...at least for another week or two if it continues to be in the 80s!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you two had an awesome ride. I love that you included the videos for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your position looks really good in these :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your position is looking absolutely great, keep up the good work (and confidence ;) )!

    Plus, I absolutely LOVE this grid!! I'm having oxer issues, so this is absolutely PERFECT to help fix it! Thanks for posting, Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this grid! You can do the bounces as just poles, diagonally raised like I do, or small verticals. And the oxer can just keep getting bigger and bigger and you're like, "I'M A FUCKING BOSSSSSS!"

      Delete
  11. I'm so behind in my reading - you guys look great! So thrilled that Bobby's feet are better. I'm amazed by how much his colour has changed with his winter coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he stayed this color all year round!

      Delete
  12. Yeah, so good to see you guys jumping again!!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.