Thursday, July 25, 2013

Circles

Time out.

Who wants to hear some shocking news?

Bobby has a loose front shoe.

Shut the fuck up, right?! Apparently BO put in a call to NF this morning and I'm hoping he'll magically appear tomorrow and we'll magically only lose one day of scheduled work. Chances are though, his four days of vacation before next weekend's show will be six days. Eh, who needs preparation anyway?

So far this week, I've been sticking to a consistent warm up for Bobby and he's seemed to work well with it. Big, marching walk all around the arena, and then onto the circle for lots of transitions between all three gaits with as little hand as possible. He's really good during this, and he's been responding so well to my seat and ensuing half halts later on in our work.

ladies! we stopped to say hello on our way back.

After a walk break where I ask him to stretch down (Must. Dominate. Free walk.), we go to work on building up "collection". We're not piaffe-ing here, folks--it's carrying himself in a more uphill frame and making his butt follow suit. After Monday's initial "Fuck you, lady. I'm going to....slowly...submit and...fuck, I'll just do it." conversation, he's stepped into working where I want him like the smarty pants he occasionally is. Today he even offered to stretch down while trotting! I had a little happy dance and praised him like he was a fucking genius before he lost focus and turned into a llama. Maybe we'll get there one day?

 Our trail ride yesterday was a good break, and we went scampering down the Monster Hill like it was no big deal. Did I secretly want to wet myself? Of course. But I acted like it was super fun and Bobby managed not to fall off a cliff this time.

warning: danger ahead!

Also, we almost ran over a baby skunk and while I know they're not capable of spraying at that age, who wants to find out if mummy is nearby? Not I!

With the farrier's status in-air at the moment, I'm not sure when the next ride will be. Hopefully Saturday at the latest.

15 comments:

  1. Great warm up idea for the transitions with as little hand as possible....I must remember and try that out!! That trail ride looks gorgeous. And seriously time for new new farrier. Or is it new new new one at this point? Or do boots or something. Sheesh, Bobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NF is the best in our area--he's just impossible to get out. I think Bobby could be shod by a farrier rocket scientist and still not be able to keep his shoes on tightly for a full four weeks. His feet are genetically horrid.

      Delete
    2. Oh silly Bobby and darn those genetics! In that case maybe NF just needs some better incentivization to get to your barn above all the other barns on the list. Maybe tape your check to a box of oreos. =]

      Delete
  2. Nothing like shoes. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that time of year. Growing lots of foot and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered glue ons? you cant pry those things off, they literally have to be filed off. I had a TB with horrid feet and a year in glue ons and her feet were like brand new. I was able to go back to plain old aluminum shoes.
    She just needed the time to grow out new foot that wasnt compromised by tons of nail holes.
    They arent cheap, but they might be a worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price is the only thing holding me back on trying them. I'm paying just under $200 for a full set of steel right now. Next time the farrier's out, I'll ask him to give me a concrete price, but I'm super nervous to even ask.

      Delete
    2. Glue ons kind of terrify me. We had a horse in our barn wear them for a bit and his feet about fell off... And when he did "pull" one it took half of his foot with it. Just what I've seen though. I'm sure they are right for some horses. I do remember said horses owner mentioning how pricy they were too.

      Delete
    3. HOLY SHIT $200 for a full set?!?! Your farrier must seriously be the best in town to be able to charge that.

      Delete
  5. Oh Bobby, the hillbilly just likes to be barefoot. I like the idea of starting with transition circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts crack me up. Love it as always. Hope he gets his shoe back sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems like shoes are the theme of the year!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.