Monday, January 21, 2013

Helmet Cam Debut

I stuck my helmet cam on my helmet for the first time Saturday. I only had a flat school planned, but I figured it would take some tweaking to get the angle and mechanics worked out, so why not go ahead and play with it?

There were five other riders in the arena, but it was actually a nice group to ride with and we all quite flawlessly stayed out of each other's way and managed to keep to task. What a relief. Hubby signaled to me from the viewing room that I should tip the camera down more. That did make a difference, but it was still a bit high when looking at the video that night. I'm not going to share any of that video because a) It's boring, and b) I didn't realize how completely useless the software that came with the camera is--you can't edit anything with it, or really do anything but upload and watch. Two thumbs way, way down.

I angled the camera down even more yesterday and while it looks like it's facing the ground, it's actually at the perfect angle now. I took Bobby out on an hour long trail ride where he was incredibly good with the insane wind. He had every reason to lose his mind, but he was completely focused on working. My helmet cover flew off my helmet at one point, and if my helmet didn't fit so well, it probably would have gone flying off, too.

The quality of these videos is fabulous... as long as you're watching on the Contour software. Once uploaded to Youtube, the quality shits the bed. They're also taking an average of two hours to upload which is probably partly my horrible internet's problem, but certainly not the only issue. I'm not happy with the software for this thing. In fact, I'm pretty much disgusted with it.

But anyway, here are some of the clips from that ride:

Our first gallop hill:


Down a hill, bushwhacking, through the creek, across the road, and up the giant monster hill:



Getting hit by the wind the first time. Notice me checking to make sure my helmet cover is still on--it was for the moment, but went flying off later on.



Bobby was pretty sure the roundbale that has been in this field every single time he's been out here was suddenly deadly, but he was brave and walked by it eventually:



We met up with Sarah and Memphis just as they were heading out, so we doubled back and did another thirty minutes with them, including a race head-on into the wind:

11 comments:

  1. I will fully admit that I more than likely won't watch the Helmet Cam Videos as the motion usually makes me feel ucky! But I think its sooooo cool that you got one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW FUN!! Love the snowy scenery and your race! So I guess you get pretty good traction in the snow?? I would have thought its slippery, but apparently not! (southern girl talking, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby has studs in all around and there was barely any snow left so he didn't have any problem with it. We only walk if it gets much deeper, or if it's really heavy, wet stuff.

      Delete
    2. That crossed my mind, him having studs, that def helps!

      Delete
  3. Major hill envy! What amazingly long gallop stretches you have, looks awesome! Shame about the software. Would it work with another video editor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finally figure out how to clip them and get them to upload them faster with a different editor, but the quality still didn't translate. Stupid thing. :(

      Delete
  4. Love the video's, Look's like such a nice area to ride in :), sounds like you haven't got the 100% wow factor you thought you would with the cam :( Maybe you could write and complain?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great videos.. so cool to watch what you are seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video is really high quality...it's on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for videos. The quality of those videos is great.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.