Thursday, December 6, 2012

The canter.

An update on the Christmas lights:

I made Hubby write out a note saying thanks, but no thanks and he hung both lights and note on their mailbox this morning. Hubby asked why he had to write out the note. Really, Hubby? Do you know how espionage even works? I can't be traced back to these lights. "Lights, Anal Neighbor? Hm, no, I don't know what you're talking about. Hubby must have seen to that. Why, no--I wasn't home yesterday when you knocked."


Bobby's clip job is even worse than I remember. It looks like someone tried to clip him with dull scissors. It's so awful, I think I'm going to have to tidy it up this weekend.

We went up to the outdoor to avoid the lesson in the indoor, and also because I wanted to ride outside, and also because it was sloppy and I want Bobby schooled to a T (what does that saying even mean?) on all footing for next season. He didn't seem the least bit concerned with splashing through puddles or going through the deeper spots. He did seem concerned with the pile of remaining jumps stacked in the middle of the arena. After he had a looksie, he ignored them. Much better than trying to jump them, the tool.

I overestimated my walk warmup and we had a few laps of awful trot before I brought him back and spent some more time walking and bending and softening his jaw. After that, our trot work was golden. He's really picking up on the uphill trot super quickly. If I make a point to ride correctly--which should go without saying, but this is me after all--he's makes a point to try really hard to get the concept.

We finished with a big jag of canter work--his first since vacation ended. He tried to take off with me when we first started. Cold, windy day after warm weather + newly clipped horse + cantering in a big area = Yeehaw! I sorted him out and he gave me some really solid work, including the most amazing canter to walk transition ever.

It was purely by chance that I asked for a downward transition at exactly the right time, but of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. Let's work on walk-canter-walk transitions! We didn't get a singe one without a few trot steps coming back into the walk, but I think by the end of winter, he'll be able to knock these out pretty easily.

hanging on the bridge while i set up my camera to video.
the video was an epic failure where we rarely made an appearance.
Red and Bobby both picked up on walk to canter transitions pretty seamlessly. That is, once they both learned what cantering even was. Red could halt, back, and canter off like it was his job last year, but Bobby's not quite there yet. However, he really steps right into the canter like it's no big. Once in the canter though, he's still so heavy on the forehand. First time doing real canter work in awhile makes it excusable, but it's something we're really going to have to work on.

foamy face!
my camera made the coloring come out so weird.
The amazing news is that not once did he swap behind while working! Even in the deep, churned up ground and sloppy puddles, he maintained the correct lead at all times. Finally! Body work has paid off!

6 comments:

  1. Just like lipstick! Riva's is usually green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL good call on the lights.
    I would have taken them and just not hung them up haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Glad things are going well.

    Oh and yeah, that's totally what I would have done. Totes not at home neighbor, what's your problem? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you did with the light, it was deffo the type of thing that I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like Bobby did really well :)!!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.