Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Changes.


Over the past week or so, the barn team and I have been working on finding a good turnout and feed program for Robert. We pulled him out of the OTTB field and switched him to the xcountry field with the fatties. He went two days without any bite marks, but he was standing alone not grazing. The third day, someone gave him a long bite mark down his butt and that was the end of that experiment.

his battle wounds are healing.

 
We decided to put him back with his rejected racehorse buddies and pull the bully, Bennie, out of that field. Bennie went into his own paddock and the new horse, a little grey QH colt, took his place. When I left the barn and drove by his paddock, Bobby and bff Spyder were grazing together in a far corner while everyone else chased the new guy around. He hasn't come in with a new mark on him since, and the grey horse, Pilot, has become Bobby's shadow.

simon coming to see if there are any cookies for him.
If he starts coming in banged up again, we're going to try to move him and Spyder into a paddock together. Not ideal since the only remaining paddock doesn't have a ton of good grass left in it, and I don't really want screaming butt buddies when I take Bobby out.

puppy fight!
He's also been looking a little...unthrifty as of late. It doesn't help that he's kind of ugly and his coat is so bleached out, though constant bathing with Microtek is helping bay him out a smidge, but he's looking a little ribbier than usual. I don't want him on any more grain than he's on so I'm trying a month of Strongid. If that doesn't make him show some improvement, I'm going to take the plunge and order the blue pop rocks.

mauled by a piglet.

I'm on a helmet search since I did a good job of killing my CO skull cap and my IRH is now six years old and really needs to get retired. I don't remember helmets being so expensive, but maybe that's because I'm poor now.

they're everywhere!

I checked on Bobby Monday. BM said he'd been passed out all morning. His front legs were cold and tight, but his hinds were a little stocked up--probably from laying down for so long--so I took him down to the indoor for a little exercise.

poop!


speed racer.
ha. ha ha.

checking himself out.

I'm not sure when I'll be out to ride him next. Maybe Thursday? With the exception of a minor headache, I'm not at all sore today (as opposed to yesterday where I couldn't turn my head because my neck was so stiff), but I know how much Bobby loves his time off.


3 comments:

  1. No, they are expensive because you have good taste :).

    As far as under $100 helmets go I think Ovation helmets look pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the dial fit system thingy in the back of them though. :/ I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and get another CO I think.

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.